Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Perils of Improvisation

This is just one of those days. Nothing seems to be coming together. We are all still in our pajamas (except Elliot, who Ryan dressed before he left for work.) The house is a mess and I am literally sick to my stomach. I've spent the entire morning working on this STUPID sewing project that is just getting worse and worse. It's a little hooded baby blanket from Amy Butler's Little Stitches. The design looks really simple but the directions seemed really confusing and unnecessarily complicated. So I decided to change things up a bit. I made it even simpler, or so I thought, HA! 

When will I learn to just follow the instructions?!? 

Anyway, somehow in addition to changing the pattern, I also screwed up. I measured one one of the strips wrong and rather than correct my mistake and cut another strip of the right length I decided to cut down the main panel. And then cut again. And again. Now I have essentially a doll blanket. Out of really expensive fabric. That was supposed to be a gift for my friend Kim who just had a baby. Who I'm supposed to be bringing dinner to tonight... 

Which brings me to improvisation calamity #2. So, Ryan, if you are reading this, I am really sorry. Ryan came home raving about this mexican pulled pork/carnitas dish that our friend Ali made when I was out of town. He said it was the best thing he's ever eaten. I got the recipe and I decided to make it today. It's a crock-pot recipe and makes a ton so I decided that I could make it for us and have enough to bring to our friends the Harris', too. So, I didn't exactly follow the recipe. I know, I know. I think I added too many chipotle peppers and I think it's going to be really, really spicy. Rats, rats, rats!!! Sorry, sorry, sorry!!!

I need a "do-over" on this day. Elliot just woke up from his nap so maybe we will be able to salvage the rest of the afternoon. 

6 comments:

Abigail said...

Adam put an entire jalapeno in our guacamole -- but we added a few more avocados, and it was delish in the end. Just throw some potatoes or something in there and the spicy carnitas will be great.

Anna and Ryan said...

Thanks, Abby. Somehow it actually mellowed as it cooked and it tasted amazing!! The thing is, the recipe called for 1 can of chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, but you were supposed to just use the sauce and fish out all but one or two chilies before you blended it all up (with the Coca-cola, no joke!!). But we had just half a can of chipotles and so I figured I'd use up what we had...and now, I suppose I'm glad that I did.

I put my sewing project away and think I might tackle that another day, or night, when I don't have little ones competing for my attention.

Michal Thompson said...

If it makes you feel better, I am the same way and that is the reason I can't follow patterns, I just have to do it on my own.

Kimberly said...

I have to go on the record as saying this meal was PHENOMENAL. One of the best I've ever had. I wish my improvisational missteps turned out half as good.

And I think a doll blanket sounds like a perfect baby gift. She'll play with it for years.

Thanks again, Anna!

Melanie and Chauncey West said...

Very cute post Anna! I'm so glad I know you! I will have to try that pork recipe when I get home...

The Mechlings said...

Anna, that was such an honest blog entry ... I loved it. There is something so comforting about hearing the common "mother" struggles among us. Hope you had a good day TODAY!!