Wednesday, August 5, 2009

All was not lost

So, my tendency to not color in the lines is sometimes rewarded, which, I suppose, must be why I keep doing it. My brain honestly processes instructions/directions as suggested approaches to tacking the matter at hand, not rules to be followed to the letter. Good thing I didn't choose a military career. When I read/hear directions I immediately begin to think, "ok, that's great, but there must be a better/easier/different way to do this". Occasionally that is true, but there's often a good reason to stick to the plan. Also, I detest the idea that I am one who looks for shortcuts, but I guess that could be accurate... sometimes.

Anyway, all this is leading up to the fact that the mexican carnitas I crock-potted today actually were awesome. They had just the right amount of kick, despite my grave misgivings this morning. I have never before used coca-cola as an ingredient. In fact, I'm not really sure that it counts as an ingredient, but that was one of the items, along with apparently the appropriate number of unseeded chipotle peppers, that went into the crock pot. Mmmm, goodness.

Here is the recipe c/o Ali Pulley. I'll give the instructions as written.

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
3-5 lb, pork loin or pork roast
1 1/2 cans of Coca Cola (I'm so embarrassed
1 cup of sugar (yikes!)
7 oz. can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 t. dry ground mustard
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. minced garlic
1/2 cup brown sugar
[I doubled the ground mustard, cumin and garlic

Place can of chilies in a bowl and cover with coke. Once the chillies are no longer coated with adobo sauce, remove them and throw away. If you prefer HOT, leave a few chilies in. Combine all ingredients (except pork) in a blender and mix. Place pork roast in crock pot and pour sauce over the top. Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 7-9 hours. Carefully turn roast over halfway through cooking. Remove pork and shred, then throw back in an mix with juice. Use a slotted spoon to remove.

Cafe Rio Cilantro-Lime Rice
1 c. long grain rice
2 c. water
2 chicken bouillon cubes*
1 t. butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 t. lime zest
2 T lime juice
2 t. sugar
3 T fresh cilantro

In a saucepan combine rice, water, bouillon, butter, garlic and lime zest. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat. In a small bowl combine lime juice, sugar and cilantro. Pour over rice.

*I think bouillon cubes are weird and should be avoided, I don't have any data to back this up...it's just a hunch that granulated chicken-flavor probably has some things in it that we shouldn't be eating. Like MSG. And preservatives. I use Better Than Bouillon organic base, which I guess is a compromise since it doesn't have any weird food additives and actually tastes pretty good. It still isn't homemade stock, but really...

PS--I just put the creamy cilantro dressing recipe here.

5 comments:

leah said...

did you know i'm just like you!?! the suggestions part. i could have totally written that part of your post! :) LOL!

so glad to hear the recipe was a success! i can't wait to try it. :)

Alana said...

bless your soul for finding those recipes. Thinking outside the box distinguishes the cooks from the chefs- you must be the latter. I think I am woefully the former. Did you by chance find a recipe for their yummy green tomatillo dressing?

Anna and Ryan said...

Leah, I did not know that you were just like me...but I had my suspicions!! :-) I tell Ryan how unfair it is that he gets to hang out with Rodney all the time when really it's you and me who should be spending more time together.

Alana, I DO have the Cafe Rio tomatillo dressing recipe...I was going to post it the other night but thought it might be Cafe Rio overkill. I'll add it, it is great, but now we are out of lettuce and it tastes weird on spinach.

Scott Fam Dam said...

Oh my mom made this for my sister's temple day. It was gorgeous. I have never eaten at Cafe Rio before. Yum! Yum!

Kimberly said...

Just made this for extended family out at the outer banks. My in-laws were dying over it. Tell Ali thanks from the Harrises!!!