Friday, July 31, 2009

FOMO Syndrome

I have been diagnosed with FOMO. Actually, it is a self-diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure that I have it. I think I have it pretty bad, too. My friend Megan discovered that she suffers from FOMO and her symptoms sound all too familiar. FOMO is "Fear of Missing Out". It is characterized by an irrepressible urge to say YES!, or "Oh, yeah!" or "Count me in!" etc. to any and all offers of fun/getting together/doing something with friends.  

Ryan does not suffer from FOMO. He is content to spend a quiet evening at home together and doesn't suffer pangs of regret that someone, somewhere is having a really fun time and we MIGHT BE MISSING IT!! So tonight was a special treat. I told Ryan (on Tuesday) that what I'd like to do more than anything tonight was to get a babysitter and go to our local cineplex and watch a movie, just the two of us. He was a little incredulous at first. "You mean, just me and you??" Yes, I do actually like spending one-on-one time with Ryan. FOMO sets in when at 2:00 on Friday afternoon we get invited to go hang out with our friend Brad in Chapel Hill. He wants to go to hear bluegrass on the lawn of the Carolina Inn and watch a screening of this movie. Now here is the dilemma. I'd really like to do both. I've already made my decision and we are going to see Harry Potter, but really, I am super bummed that I have to miss out on something that ALSO could be fun. Is this weird? 

PS--I also fully acknowledge that neither of those options may sound like a lot of fun to many of you. We actually are pretty boring and our standards for "fun" are pretty low. To which I say...do you have a better idea?? Let me know, I'm sure I'd be up for it. 

6 comments:

nelsonjeneen said...

Oh I know what you mean... I must have FOMO too! What a great way to put it.

Jamie said...

I can give you the solution to the problem (I have suffered as well for many years)Move away and then you won't have to worry about, you won't have anyone to hang out with. The only problem then is, you wish it was your problem.

Michal Thompson said...

I too suffer from this, but not as badly as you! Connor is the same way as Ryan, is it a girl thing?

Rachel said...

Too funny Anna. What a perfect way to describe it. I don't have it so much, I'm pretty lazy and don't mind at all when people are out having fun without me, but I love knowing people like you who occasionally pull me into a much "funner" existence! You're the best, FOMO or not.

Rosalyn said...

I definitely suffer from it, but Dave does not! I am glad I am not the only one. It was fun to have Ryan stay with us! By the way, thank you for the sling. It fits and you are amazing.

Abigail said...

I have FOMO of Chez Halverson!! I am always sure that one of those tiny boys has done something cute or very important and I have missed it!

I miss you, big sister, and can't wait to see you soon-ish.

xoxo