Thursday, May 1, 2008

Ryan's Weekend in Zions

Ryan here... For the last two weeks I've claimed to Anna that I would be able to run a marathon without training. She says, "no way!" Here's my rationale. With some foresight, adventurous friends and phenomenal spring-time weather, I parlayed a recent work trip to Utah with an extended weekend to Zion's National Park. Lance came in from Huntington Beach, CA; Pete drove up from Las Vegas, and Brad flew all the way from Chapel Hill, NC to participate in "dude day." I convinced everyone that, as weekend warriors, we ought to hike the east rim trail. After all was said and done, we hiked 14 miles in about 6 hours, 1/4 of which winded themselves through switchbacks up cliffs. Hence my conclusion. If I can wake up one morning and hike 14 miles... why couldn't I "jog" 26.2? Easy. Soooo easy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

as always, such wonderful pictures, Ryan! I hope that it was as much fun as it looks. I know your family is glad to have you home, but "Dude Day" looks like a great experience for all involved. Good luck with the marathon ;) Abby

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I'm so sorry, but I have to side with Anna. I've hiked East Rim and run a marathon, and the marathon was harder. Not saying you couldn't do it--but it would be harder. Things would come into play if you hadn't trained. Chafing, for example.

Of course, I couldn't run a marathon or hike East Rim right now if my life depended on it, so my hat is off to you either way. ;)

Jecott (that's our Hollywood name) said...

Ryan, this is Scott. I am not a math wiz, but I am pretty sure that 26 miles is longer than 14 miles. Also if it took you 6 1/2 hours to go 14 miles, wouldn't it take you something around 9 to 10 for the full marathon. Now I'm not saying you couldn't do it, but isn't a 10 hour marathon reserved for "special people"? You know like Jared from Subway BEFORE he slimed up.

Scott Fam Dam said...

Incredible pictures Ryan! Did you take them? Amazing talent you got there!

Scott Fam Dam said...

Harvey and I are over here crying at Scott's comment. He is hilarious, and I have to admit, he is so RIGHT!!!!