The Vitals:
Born 12:28 p.m.
Saturday, May 17, 2008
6 lb. 14.2 oz.
21.5 in.
Mother and baby are in excellent health
Anna and I are over the moon. Elliot joined the world and our family today at Rex Hospital in Raleigh, North Carolina. He is a placid, cute little guy and he, of course, instantly won our hearts. His arrival today, 4 days early, came to a surprise to everyone.
Anna awoke me at 5:00 a.m. and told me that my prediction -- that the little guy would arrive on Tuesday next week (during the full moon) -- would not be coming to pass. She had been laboring since about 1:00 a.m. For the first few hours of the morning, we weren't really sure how to call it. But by 7:00 Anna declared that this was the real deal so we called our friend, Ally Pulley, to come over to pick up Oliver for the day. By 9:00 a.m. we were checked into the hospital and discovered Anna was already dialated to 8cm.
Anna opted for a epidural -- who can blame her -- that arrived around 10:00 a.m. After it kicked in, Anna was on record as saying, "this is like a day at the spa". (This confirmed my dire visions of spa experiences). Her contractions became less productive, but her nurse, Helen, and doctor, Zoe Beaty, were infinetely positive that her active labor would be quick. Anna feared a repeat of the marathon that was Oliver's birth. (Devoted fans will note that both Oliver and Elliot are born on the same day (the 17th).
She labored like a champ for about 20 - 30 min. and then Elliot graced us with his presence. And what a presence. He immediately reminded us of Oliver. He has a very placid demeanor and is light and small... and simply melts our hearts.
The name: We love the name Elliot. Ballstaedt is my mother's maiden name. Halverson seemed to be an obvious ending (and, probably legally required).
After some weighing, photos, cuddling and general oohing and aahing, I left to get Oliver so he could meet "Baby Bruzzer". We were anxious for his response, which was, in a word, non-plussed. He semed more interested in throwing pillows around the room and checking out the bio-hazard depositories than in the new family addition. As long as he wasn't traumatized... we think this is acceptable.
We are excited to share our joy of this awesome occasion with you. Anna and Elliot will be coming home on Monday. I will endeavor to keep this post up to date with pictures and details.
Ryan
24 comments:
Congratulations you guys! I must be a devoted fan because I was just telling Clark how Oliver and Elliot and Russell were all born on the 17th. We're glad he's finally here. Get some sleep.
We're so happy he's safely (and quickly!) here. The photos are beautiful; Anna looks radiant. Thank you for sharing the story, Ryan. We love you all lots!
oh, i'm so thrilled to see this post! the pics are beyond fabulous - way to GO anna!!!!
saturday was a special day! happy birthday oliver, and welcome to the world baby elliot.
I was thinking of you and checked your blog.
We are so excited to see you had the baby!
Congratulations!
He's beautiful! And he looks so wise!
I'm sure Oli will take to him! Besides, babies can be pretty boring to a "big kid"! Maybe he can read Elliot a book!
-Gerovacs
Conrats! He is so darling! I am so happy for you! That will be fun to have two boys! Take care!
Congratulations on the relatively uneventful arrival of Elliot!! We hope to meet him sometime soon!!
Congrats! Awesome that you used Ballstaedt. Glad I found your blog. (This your cousin Erin, Rock's daughter). Check out our blog http://jordananderinspencer.blogspot.com/
Welcome, Elliot! I must say, I am so glad you went with that name. It's just perfect for the little guy. Congrats to you both, especially Anna (she did most of the work afterall!)
Love you guys,
Jen and Scott Sanders
Congratulations! Anna, you look amazing :-)
Sweet! Good job guys.
Corbinski here.
First, let's just get this out - ANNA LOOKS STUNNING!
I just was thinking about your cute family and decided to peek in on your blog. What a great post to stumble upon.
Congratulations! May is a great month for birthdays. Elliot is in good company. :)
Congratulations! Elliot is so adorable.
Congrats on the new addition! Way to go. Payson acted the same way when his little sister arrived but now he loves her very much. Hope you are doing well and we'll see you soon!
Hello old friends! Congratulations! We are so happy for you! The last time we saw you Carson was a new born!! Now he's three and you have another little one...and so do we!!
We are so happy for you guys! Post more pictures when you get a chance.
Congrats!!!
He looks just like little Oliver. We are so happy for his arrival. And...love the name!
Congratulations! He is adorable!
Oh Anna!!!! Congratulations. You look way too beautiful to have just gone through labor, not fair!!! Ryan the pics you took of the baby are absolutely beautiful. And I love the name!
Way to go Anna- an 8 by the time you got to the hospital!? Wow! So much for the feeling that he was going to come late, huh? Don't you love it when they surprise you like that- great name and glad he's out.
Congratulations. He is so handsome. You can tell he looks like his brother Oliver. I am glad that all went well and that you didn't have to push too long! I hope I have small babies like Elliot.
You guys that is so great! Anna, you look great and Elliot is adorable. Thanks to Ryan for updating the blog. We couldn't be happier for you guys!
You guys that is so great! Anna, you look great and Elliot is adorable. Thanks to Ryan for updating the blog. We couldn't be happier for you guys!
awwww! congratulations halversons!! elliot is adorable, anna is gorgeous and oliver looks like a well-adjusted bruzzer. well done!
hooray for the safe and fast arrival of elliot! anna, you look simply stunning. good work all. xoxo the harrisons
What a cute little guy. Congrats guys, and I'm glad everything went well for you, Anna!
Post a Comment