Sunday, September 6, 2009

Miss Jan's Preschool

20090901-20090901-DSC_0373

Oliver started up at his new preschool this week and I think it is going to be perfect! Last year he went to preschool two days a week at the Catholic church in our neighborhood. It was a fine preschool but since we aren't members of the parish it was really expensive. I liked that we could walk or ride our bikes there and I valued the sense of community it fostered, but I felt like a big-time sucker when I found out that we were the first family in 12 (TWELVE!!!) years to pay the non-Catholic rate. Anyway, so this year I decided to send Oliver to "Miss Jan's" preschool. "Miss Jan" is a woman from our church who runs a very low-key but wildly popular preschool program in her home. Oliver started this week and already this is what I love:

* When I came to pick him up after the first day the kids were all out on the front lawn playing with this long cardboard box. It was so low-tech, but perfect! They had a blast crawling through it and rolling across the grass inside it. It became a cave/tunnel/house. I love that they were not given instructions in how to play with it, but just allowed to explore it and find out for themselves all the fun you can have with a cardboard box!

*I love that his artwork is messy. At St.Francis he brought home very cute crafts that really bugged me because it was obvious that he didn't do it himself. Miss. Jan realizes that art at this age is all about the process and not the final product.

*I love that Oliver knows most, but not all, of the 8 kids in his class already and I adore (ADORE!!) their moms. I am so excited that I have a built-in excuse to see some of my favorite women 3 times a week.

20090901-20090901-DSC_0378

Oliver with his buddies Ryan (Ry-nan as Oliver pronounces it), Jack and Win.

I know you are asking yourself, "what's up with Oliver's weird fake smile??" The answer is that apparently he thinks it's pretty darn cool. Whenever he sees a picture of himself with that crazy squinty smile he comments, "I love dat smidle!"

5 comments:

Nora said...

That boy Jack--he looks JUST like the son of Leah Miller, a girl that I used to know in Williamsburg...could it be? So glad that Ollie likes his preschool (and that YOU do too.) Hope things are happy and healthy for you all--

Anna and Ryan said...

Hey Nora, nope, that little Jack is straight outta Brooklyn (who else but a New York hipster-kid would wear a RUN-DMC t-shirt to the first day of pre-school?)

Jamie said...

AHH, I really miss Miss Jan's pre-school. Those were all the cute kids Xander went with to Pre-school last year. She is fabulous I am so glad Ollie is having a great time.

David & Vanessa said...

Ok...sorry I keep commenting all over your blog. But can I just say that reading this makes me excited for Gabriel to attend preschool one day!

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

Funny that Ollie has his fake smile. David does a twisted "cheese" for photos these days. At least he will face the camera to make it. But he looks so ridiculous! I try snap a photo, show it to him (he always demands), then whip the camera back around to snap his REAL smile, a result of seeing his fake one. But I'm never fast enough and have only achieved blurry photos this way! <: