The boys totally hit the Dad jackpot when they got Ryan as a Dad. He comes home from a long day of work and dives right into "second shift", and man, what a star player he is. He organizes kickball games with all the little kids in the neighborhood, he helps Oliver eat his dinner (this is totally exhausting and thankless...take a bite, Ollie...now chew it...ok, now swallow it...Ollie, make that food go down to your tummy...sit back down, you are not done you've only taken one bite...). He plays games and wrestles with the boys, he reads them books and invents silly "Mike-the-monkey" stories.
Oliver is on to the fact that his Dad is a pretty awesome guy. Whenever we get home (no matter what time of day) Oliver rushes to be the first one in the house. He throws open the door and shouts "Hellllloooo, Daddy!!" He is often disappointed because it will be the middle of the day and Ryan is still at work. When Ryan comes home he is greeted by that same enthusiastic "Helllllloooo Daddy!!" and then entreated to "talk 'bout verk [work]." Oliver's fascination with his Daddy's work is both hilarious and endearing. After all, his dad isn't a cop, or a firefighter, his stories about work--the details that Oliver loves to hear repeated over and over again--involve such thrilling anecdotes as "today I had a meeting in a conference room" and "my new office is on the 5th floor". If we get off topic, Oliver will immediately bring the conversation back around to "talking 'bout Daddy's verk."
Last week Ryan took Oliver camping...in the backyard. What a cool Dad! He set up the tent right there in our backyard and brought out sleeping bags and flashlights. Ollie was thrilled (as you can probably see from the pictures below!) He assured us that "I promise I not be scared!!" and true to his word, he slept all night in the tent. Ryan thought that at some point in the night Oliver would wake up and they would both get to move inside, but Oliver must have felt totally safe and comfortable cuddled up next to his Daddy and slept the whole night through. What a lucky guy!
7 comments:
How fun! Your grass totally looks like soft carpet - we need some tips! :)
All I can say is that looks can be deceiving. Our grass is really itchy and the ground underneath is solid concrete (thanks to the bulldozers that leveled the back yard).
I don't know if I know a kid who doesn't like to go camping.
Okay, last comment, I promise, this touched my heart! Ryan is so awesome. Tell him hello for me! Thanks for the story.
Boys need good dads to grow up to be good men. Your boys are lucky to have Ryan to be their example. My boys have a very engaged, loving dad too...I think it will have a profound effect on who they become.
I always knew that "bug boy" would make beautiful "bug babies" and be a great "bug dad"!!!!
Love to you all.
I loved reading this. Ryan and Taylor must have the same genes; we got lucky with our men, Anna! But Taylor hasn't done the camping thing yet with David. David needs another year on him. And Taylor needs a way to use his sleep ap machine in a tent -- or David won't sleep a wink thanks to Taylor's LOUD snores! <:
Post a Comment