Thursday, April 2, 2009

Couldn't Possibly Be More Excited

Woo hoo! I can't wait. Tomorrow we are heading up to Virginia for the weekend to stay with my friend Lynnie and her family on their farm in the Blue Ridge mountains. Maybe it's because I was raised in The City and have never actually experienced farm life that I am fascinated with the agrarian lifestyle. (By the way, capital T, capital C obviously refers to New York, New York. I always thought it was funny that when we were at Cornell people would refer to "the city" and mean the bustling metropolis of Ithaca.)

In any case, being a city girl I have these strong pastoral fantasies, and what could be better than being on a farm on a gorgeous spring weekend? There will be piglets and calves, tractors and horses, small animal auctions and farm suppers. I will be living my own Charlotte's Web-inspired dream. T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C

To make it even more exciting, Lynnie and John our friends from Cornell, happen to live next door (three miles away) from Mt. Vernon Farm, which belongs to the family of one of my dearest friends from Richmond, Laura. Laura's dad is a pioneer in sustainable agriculture. He raises pasture-fed beef, pork and lamb without hormones or antibiotics. It was Laura's invitation that actually spurred this weekend reunion. She invited our other dear friend Molly and her family, too. We'll be staying with Lynnie and John but we plan to make it a whole weekend of fun on the farm(s) with all of our friends. I just can't wait!

Oh, and I think the boys will have a good time, too. :-)

5 comments:

Lynnie said...

bring on the dirt and mud. it's raining right now but John and the kids brought 75 goats into our backyard last night, just for your viewing pleasure. can't wait to see you all!

Rain in My Head said...

I am soo jealous!! Drink some raw milk for me. I looked up Mt. Vernon Farm that you mentioned. . My dream would be to do something like that someday. :)

Jenny said...

Oh man, that sounds so fun! Way jealous! Have a great time and have some good laughs for us (or about us)

Scott Fam Dam said...

WHAT!!! You can't blog these things and not expect the Scott Clan to feel a tinge of jealousy! We are in the blue ridge mountains!!!! Come see us too! Even if it is for a minute or two, we want a visit from the Halverson's, it would make our whole year! I didn't know Lynnie lived around here! We all should catch up sometime!

Rebecca said...

Your comment on the blog was sweet. I am afraid that I so needed to remember how I am "creating" even with the mundane diaper changes! I hope that you guys had a great weekend with Lynnie and family. Wish we could have been there to have a big bonfire, now that would have been fun!