Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring Weekend on the Farm

20090403-20090403-DSC_0063

Oliver, Elliot and I had such a wonderful time this past weekend visiting old friends and experiencing a real slice of rural life in Virginia. Ryan had to bow out, which was understandable but still disappointing. I wish he had been able to come chiefly because we had such a good time and made some great memories that I really wish that I could share with him. So I made him look through all my pictures and hear all the details of our trip ad nauseum. I'll spare you, gentle reader.

The highlights included:

  • going to the Culpeper small animal auction with John and Lynnie to buy bunnies and chicks for their kids for Easter
  • spending a lazy afternoon with the Meyers, the Oakeys, and the Millers on Mt. Vernon Farm--watching animals, exploring old barns, and devising plans to get Cliff to hire us all to come live out on the farm
  • eating some AWESOME organic, dairy and gluten-free meals at Mt. Vernon Farm...and then going home to have "real" dessert at Lynnie's (sliced strawberries and pears just didn't quite do the trick :-)
  • Serious country breakfast at Eldon Farm on Sunday morning: John's homemade biscuits, fresh scrambled eggs and bacon, whipped cream and strawberries and cantaloupe
  • Marching out to feed the goats and chickens in our pajamas and boots...we pretty much didn't change out of our PJs until it was time to go home
  • Spending an anxious 5 minutes trying to locate Oliver and Nathan...only to discover them in the chicken coop, "Making a chicken party" in Ollie's words. They were trying to hold the chickens but the chickens "ran too faster." The boys had dumped out all their food and water and were tossing handfuls of chicken feed into the air and at each other.
  • Stopping off in Richmond to see some good friends and old neighbors

I took SO many pictures because I really wanted to capture the experience, but I don't think I was able to distill the essence of what it was really like in these pictures. I have a good camera, but I lack the photo-journalist's eye. My camera is magnetically attracted to my kids. Somehow I am STILL surprised when I go back to look at my pictures and realize that I missed some really obvious details but I have like 100 shots of Oliver. Oh well.

20090403-20090403-DSC_0143 20090404-20090404-DSC_0231  20090403-20090403-DSC_0080 20090404-20090404-DSC_0205  20090403-20090403-DSC_0078

8 comments:

Abigail said...

I want to go to a chicken party!!

Lynnie said...

wow, that sounds like an awesome weekend... and it was. I'm so impressed that you got it blogged so fast. We had a blast and tell Ollie he's free to come back anytime for another chicken party.

Jenny said...

Looks and sounds like a great time!

Kimberly said...

Oh, I knew it was going to be a blast. I'm so jealous. Next time I'm inviting myself along. Do your friends take in strangers? ;)

Heather S said...

Wow. What a beautiful weekend.

Jonathan said...

Hey Anna & Ryan! I found you through your Cornell Reunion e-mail. Oliver and Elliott are adorable. I knew you guys were talented with food, but I didn't know you were budding photogs. Your shots are ah-mazing! Teach me. During summer 2010 we'll be moving to Fort Bragg for 2 years, I'm hoping that with a little luck, we'll find a way to get together... So good to see you guys smiling and healthy. Take care!

Jessie said...

I beg to differ about your lack of a good eye for photos...some of these are just beautiful. It makes the farm life look so idyllic. Speaking of your photos, how do you post such nice big shots?

The Mechlings said...

what awesome pictures ... and I thought Ryan was the family photog!! looks like you guys had a wonderful time ...