Friday, March 13, 2009

Quarterly Report

So here we are coming to the end of the first quarter of 2009 and I thought I'd give myself, my posterity, and "all y'all" ("youse guys" for you New Yorkers) an update on how I'm doing on the old New Year's Resolutions. I'm not going to give a line-by-line accounting of where I stand on specific resolutions (but just to get it off the table, no, I have not lost 10 pounds yet). But since all my resolutions essentially related to being more organized, disciplined, accountable, and on time, I'll just give a general overview on my quest to get my shizz together.

We (Ryan and I) started out this year with the intention of making "A House of Order" our theme for 2009. This phrase comes from a passage in one of our church's foundational books of  scripture, the Doctrine & Covenants. It reads:

Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God" (D&C 88:119).

The idea was that if we could create order in our lives and home we would be happier, be able to feel and heed the influence of the Holy Ghost in our lives, be more effective partners/parents/friends, and have more time to enjoy the things we really value, not to mention be able to find the car keys. Actually, I am not that bad about misplacing things, it's structure and time management that are my biggest challenges. I have a hard time sticking to a schedule. I've never been known for being excessively early to any sort of engagement/appointment. I am not a list maker. I have never felt the urge to purchase or use a label maker. 

The upside of this is that I don't mind a certain level of unpredictability. In fact, I kind of hate the routine as much as I hate routines. Does that make sense? For instance, I can't imagine wanting to have the same meal, like Tacos on Thursdays!, week after week. I do plan my meals a week out, but the meal plan is entirely flexible and subject to change, and the only thing that is guaranteed is that it will NOT be what we ate last week. I also think that my lack of structure has allowed me to become particularly good at embracing serendipity, living in the moment and seizing the day, as it were.

All that is fine and good, but I realize that I lose a certain amount of productivity by being so lax about time management. I could be doing good and rewarding things if I could make better use of my time. So I gamely set about changing my ways. For instance, I resolved to be on time, but what really happened was that I only marginally improved my on-time performance but greatly increased my frustration and dejection when I was inevitably still late. I don't really know how to change that about myself. It's constitutional. I am shocked and frustrated EVERY time. How did this happen? Again? I planned to be early, even! And here I am late, again. Sigh.

I soon realized that if my efforts to be organized, disciplined, accountable and on time made me a crazy woman it wasn't worth the effort at all. So now in my effort to create a House of Order I am guided by another scripture which I love:

And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. (Mosiah 4:27)

So this means scaling back on my expectations, and also scaling back on my commitments. There are so many things out there that I am interested in doing, that I'd like to do, that would be fun to do, that I perhaps should do...but I can't do them all. I remind myself of this scripture whenever I feel like I am not doing all that I should or when I get the urge to take on a new project.

The biggest success that I've made in creating my House of Order was that I created a schedule that actually works for me. (Sort, of...more about that later)*. Now, for most people this would be no big deal, but for anyone who knows me, this is a HUGE deal, because this is definitely NOT my M.O.  This schedule works because it provides the basic framework of what is supposed to happen, when. It gives me a fair amount of flexibility but ensures that there is time set apart for the things that need to get done.

The asterisk on this schedule is that I have actually never followed it completely. Even for one day! I joked with Ryan that I can safely post it here (below) without fear that some crazy stalker will know where I am at all times because chances are I will have called an audible and decided to skip quiet time and take the kids to the science museum (as I did yesterday), or punt on playgroup and enjoy a rainy morning watching ducks in our backyard (today). The beauty of this schedule is that I FEEL like a person with structure and order in her life just by having this schedule. I am inordinately proud of it. I have posted it on our fridge where I consult it daily and build my (new) plans for the day around it.

So, without further ado. Behold my creation: The Halverson Family Weekday Schedule

Halverson Family Weekday Schedule
6:45-7:00 Everyone wakes up
7:00-8:00 Ryan reads scriptures to the family; Oliver eats breakfast, takes Periactin and vitamins; Elliot eats breakfast; Family prayer, Ryan leaves for work
8:00-8:45 Everyone gets dressed and ready for the day. Ollie brushes teeth
8:45 Walk/drive to preschool on Mon/Wed
9:00 Nap for Elliot
9:00-12:00
       MONDAY: run with Megan; clean the house
       TUESDAY: gym; playtime for Oliver (outside if possible) 
       WEDNESDAY: run; “free time” (blogging, reading, sewing, church calling)
       THURSDAY: 9:30 Pilates, playtime for Oliver (outside if possible)
       FRIDAY: 10:00-12:00 Church playgroup
10:00 Snack for Oliver
12:00-1:00 Lunch for Oliver, Elliot & Anna
1:00-3:00 Nap/quiet time for Oliver & Elliot; scripture study
3:00 Snack for Oliver
3:00-5:00 play time for Oliver; run errands
       FRIDAY: 3:00 Swim lesson
5:00-6:00 make dinner; feed Elliot dinner
6:00-7:00 mom, dad & Oliver eat dinner
       MONDAY: Family Home Evening
       TUESDAY: 7:00 Anna tennis clinic
       WEDNESDAY: 7:00 Anna YW meeing
       THURSDAY: Ryan’s Guys Night Out
       FRIDAY: Date Night/Movie Night
7:00-7:30 Oliver & Elliot ready for bed: PJs, read books, brush teeth, say prayers
7:30 Lights out for Oliver
8:00 Lights out for Elliot
10:45 Lights out for Anna and Ryan

8 comments:

leah said...

Dude. I am seriously impressed! I should give it a try. It may only last a "part" of a quarter, though. I really find it hard for new things to stick, unfortunately. But, at the same time - I could totally see doing something like this making me feel much better about how I spend my time - and actually help me use my time more wisely! Great idea!!! :)

Oh, and thanks for the tip about the museum. We just might check it out! :)

nelsonjeneen said...

So, Anna I am the total opposite when it comes to being on a schedule. I have to be on one or I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. AND I have to make lists. I am soo wierd. BUT I am impressed with this schedule. This is really detailed. :) I love how you stick to it for the most part and then when you want to do something different you do it. I love it! I need to be more like you. I have had a hard time thinking I have to be on a rigid schedule with the twins and some days it works great. Other days..... it is a disaster. So I need to do something in between!
Jill

Abigail said...

I am so proud of you. At some point, we'll both figure out how to have a little bit of order and a little bit of fun under one roof. If you could share some of your spunky spontaneity with me, I'll gladly show you the best white board to buy for list-making!

(btw, we're moving in today! your bedroom is all set up downstairs!!)

Michal Thompson said...

i think this is great. It really is hard to ride that thin line between being too scheduled and being too flexible. You have to have a little of both- a schedule that is open for change, and every day!

Jessie said...

I see eye to eye with you on hating the routine. I get bored so easily. I need stimulation and change in order to feel alive. And that can be so hard when you are trying to run a little family. I absolutely abhor the idea of "laundry day" or other such set days for chores. I think a schedule with built-in flexibility is perfect. Then you feel somewhat in control of things, but don't feel constrained by them. Oh, and I too have the tardy gene. I have been trying to, unsuccessfully, overcome this for as long as can be remembered. Poor Adam.

Jecott (that's our Hollywood name) said...

Anna, you have never struck as someone who lacks in the realm of accomplishment. I have always thought you use your time well. And now this amazing schedule! Truly inspiring. I can barely remember (and sometimes don't) the parts of my "routine" that are mandatory, like class...when I am teaching. I have tried to have more routine in the past with pretty spotted success. Maybe it's time to get back on the wagon...

Allyson Condie said...

Anna, I am so impressed! I could use a little more order in my life. How do you go running with both boys? That is my biggest dilemma...I'd love to know your solution!

Jenny said...

Boy, that's a beautiful schedule! You inspire me!