Sunday, March 8, 2009

From Frostbite to Sunburn in A Week

 DSC_0003

This is what it looked like on Monday morning. As an act of love and service I scraped all the snow off Ryan's car. With a piece of cardboard. From our recycling bin. Without gloves. In my pajamas. OK, not so much an act of love and service as an act of stupidity. I hope that he felt my good intentions.

I was too lazy to go up in the attic and retrieve the snowpants and boots I had put up there after our last big snow (January 19) so the boys didn't really get out to romp in the snow. It was awfully pretty once the sun came out, but still bitingly cold. The snow stuck around for two or three days and then...the temperature began to rise. It got up to the MID 80s!!! by the weekend. Yeah, now that's more like it!

DSC_0115  DSC_0062DSC_0058 DSC_0065 DSC_0080

This afternoon I took the boys to Falls Lake to throw rocks. Now, I'm telling you, this NEVER gets old. I don't know why this is, but it is the gosh awful truth. Men of all ages can be entertained with this simple formula: water + projectiles = fun.  My own dad cannot pass a body of water without trying to skip a stone or throw a penny in for good luck. In college I lived in an MIT fraternity house one summer and the guys used to go up on the roof and shoot waterballoons down Beacon Street with a slingshot it took three guys to operate. My boys are still at the age where actually getting the rock to land in the water is still a thrill to them (and somewhat thrilling in the sense of presenting a real danger) to bystanders. Good times. 

4 comments:

Lynnie said...

So true Anna. We have a small bridge on our drive way and the kids will stand there and throw rocks into it for hours if I'd let them.

Michal Thompson said...

Us too!!! I need to take advantage of the Durant park pond!! For us it is Balls+ Boy= endless possibilities! Connor thinks and talks better when he has a ball in his hand!

Abigail said...

Thank goodness for snow, if it gets you inside and posting photos of your beautiful kiddies. I love looking at those big smiles.

Yesterday, on a crowded train home, I heard someone making a baby laugh. The explosive cackling was exactly like Elliot's response to the Captain Underpants routine. It had me smiling ear-to-ear, and I couldn't even see the little guy who was having such a good time.

The Reno Rowdies said...

Your boys are so cute Anna. Um, can you send some of that weather here towards Reno? I am SO ready for spring. Glad to see you all are doing well!