Saturday, July 10, 2010

Model Airplanes

Two weeks ago I woke up with a feeling I dread but one that has become all too familiar during the summer. It was 7:00 am, Ryan had already left for work, and the entire, empty day loomed before me. We had NOTHING on our docket. Nothing to do...nothing that HAD to be done...no errands even that needed to be run.  Having a whole gaping day with nothing on the agenda sends me into a slight panic.

In order to stay sane I really need to get out of the house and see people and DO something.  Being at home all day with the kids is not exactly relaxing for me.  (Are we going to spend the whole day in our pajamas in front of the TV????)  For some people, like those who lead rigorous, busy, relentlessly productive lives a day in PJs in front of the TV probably sounds like not too bad a deal--for me that would be torture. By far the toughest part about being a stay-at-home mom for me at this stage of the game isn't the "work" it's the potential for boredom and grinding monotony.

Anyway, feeling like this day was already headed in a bad direction (at so early an hour!!) I called a friend to organize a playdate. She had a better idea. She told me about this model airplane demonstration at Percy Warner Park. Percy Warner is this huge park complex about 5 minutes from our house. They have miles of hiking and biking trails, an amazing Nature Center, a golf course, an equestrian center, but who knew they also had a model airplane strip?! We packed up a picnic and joined them. IT WAS AWESOME! It turned out to be one of our best summer activities. The boys were absolutely transfixed by the model airplanes. They did amazing stunts like barrel rolls and flips and flew fast upside-down. For the finale one of the biggest planes did a candy drop over the runway and all the kids ran out and grabbed candy.

2010 July 10 0202010 July 10 033

2010 July 10 029

2010 July 10 022

When Ryan came home from work we went to the playground and flew paper airplanes until it was dark. Ryan is a crack paper-airplane builder and those planes glided on air currents like nothing I've seen before. The boys had a blast and then once it was officially dark we went to this cute little frozen yogurt place in Belle Meade called CeCe's. It was delicious and I can't wait to go back.

So this day that looked from the outset like it would be a total wash turned out to be one of our best summer days yet!

2010 July 10 016  2010 July 10 0312010 July 10 032 2010 July 10 021

4 comments:

Lynnie said...

I 100% hear you on the whole day looming ahead with NOTHING to do. I actually started to feel bad for John yesterday when we headed to the lake yesterday and I realized we only own 4 beach towels, cause why would we ever really need 5? John never gets to come anyway. Someday's our job is nice, isn't it?

Abigail said...

I have to say that I think your day with the planes was absolutely awesome. Second only to the first plan of NOTHING. But again, you found a totally creative and fun thing to do. What a fun day.

BTW, I just read the 'running commentary' from 6/29. Dump onna bed is my favorite Elliotism, and I am dying laughing about the triangle: what a BAD shape. I love you all so much.

Abigail said...

I don't know why I come up as ADFW with this gmail account... But it's your faithful reader of every Chez H post, Abby.

Robin said...

how fun. it is the unexpected that always turns out to be so enjoyable. I wish we had things like that around here, but even if we did, it would be too hot to go right now.