Being home with kids definitely has its rewards and satisfactions but sometimes at the end of the day there is not much to show for it. Ryan leaves for work and the house is more or less in order. For the next 8 hours chaos reigns. Great railroad empires are constructed in the living room (by Oliver) and destroyed (by Elliot). Games and toys and puzzles are both played with and randomly redistributed around the house by the boys. Meals are prepared and served (and more often than not rejected by Oliver and thrown on the floor by Elliot). The mess that is created and cleaned up everyday is exhausting to think about even now. I try to reign in that chaos before Ryan gets home, but some days I don't even try to clean up the games/toys/play-doh/art projects etc. just so Ryan can see that SOMETHING happened while he was gone. It's kind of a sisyphean experience, but rather than even making elusive forward progress, I'm just trying to get back to the baseline.
Anyway, what I am leading up to is that I think that because there isn't often a tangible product to show for my days' activities I have become really interested in sewing and crafting and generally MAKING things in my spare time. It is enormously satisfying to create something and be able to say to yourself, "Ah, look what a cool/pretty/useful/delicious thing I made with my own hands." and "It is finished. I did it. That was fun. And now I am done and it can't be undone!"
Today I made this:
I found a drawing of an elephant on the Internet and printed it out and traced it with an Exacto knife on some scrap fabric. Then I just stitched around the edges and viola! a cute little semi-homemade onesie for Elliot. I was pretty excited about how it turned out so now I think I am going to go a little bit nuts making applique baby gifts.
Here are some other sewing projects that I have been meaning to put on here for a while (some of these are pretty old). And looking at them now, really, they are pretty modest, but I'm proud of them and I made them and they are finished and they can't be undone!
11 comments:
So i just tagged you in a craft tag, you already did it. I love these! I need one of each of them! Or you could teach me how!
Love the onesie, Anna! Good for you :)
I love your projects! Soon you'll have to start a separate sewing blog :)
I am the lucky recipient of some of these projects! Thank you Elliot and Oliver for making so much chaos that your mom has to make gorgeous things for me so that she can document her activities. Yay chaos.
oh I so feel this post Anna. I feel like I get nowhere each day, nowhere. There is definitely more out each day than it started with. Glad you have something to show for your hard work - it's dang cute.
Being a SAHM can definitely feel like the movie Groundhog Day at times. I'm impressed that you try to clean up for Ryan. I don't think I've ever been that considerate for Jason.
I love all your projects and that you found such a fun outlet. And one that you're obviously good at!
Anna dearest, truely you are reigning in that chaos...Banzai!
You were always making lovely things even when you were Oliver's age.
xxxooo mama
boy, was that a fantastic summary of stay-at-home mommyhood, in the first paragraph. And what a great idea, to make some (fairly) indestructible thing to show for your day ... i need to get sewing again!
you are super talented. these things are so cute!
Anna,
I read this a few weeks ago but I've been thinking about it for awhile. I think I have the same need to say "Look what creative, yummy, educatory, interesting thing I made/did today!" It's like I have this insane need to justify what I do with my mom-at-home-time. I keep having all these different "phases" as Jer calls them. Where I get really into something like sewing, breadmaking, soap making, cake decorating...whatever! It makes life interesting and sometimes once in a while you get something cool out of it! Love the onesie!
anna! i checked in on your blog today to see how my sweet halversons are doing. i'm so happy to know you are doing beautifully. and i love your deeds that can not be undone! that onesie is adorable! and i love the banner! funny -- i'm not in your demographic but i'm feeling mighty crafty lately. i like MAKING. pies. stories. clothing. refinishing furniture. let me know when you want to start up the commune!
Post a Comment