I had the chance on Mother's Day to write a letter to each of my sons, a little tradition that I hope will someday amount to a really meaningful gift for them and a treasured memento of these years for me.
One of the things I wrote about was how fortunate I feel to be a mother and in particular to be a "stay-at-home-mom". I haven't always felt this sanguine about the whole "SAHM" status. I was raised by a very accomplished mother who not only earned her PhD while I was a toddler, but also was able to develop a rich professional career while raising two kids. It sounds trite, but I HONESTLY do not know how she did it. My dad was appalled when I quit my job to stay at home, but he is trying his best to be supportive now. I know he thinks I am a good mother, but I also know that he feels like being at home with two little kids is some sort of purgatory: it's hard work that kind of sucks, and my "real" contribution to the world is still to come.
I know that I have a duty/obligation/privilege to make a difference in the world outside our home, and I hope I can figure out what that will be. But during this "season" while my boys are so young, I LOVE being able to be with them every step of the way.
I feel like being with my children is such interesting and rewarding work. I love observing how little brains work. I love watching Oliver gain knowledge and skills. It's fascinating to hear what he remembers and notices about experiences--the details that are salient to him are often so surprising. I love seeing Elliot develop physically and attack the world with such gusto. And it's so much fun to create opportunities for them to explore and learn.
It is also really reassuring to feel that what I am doing in raising my children is in no way frivolous. It is not a waste of time or something ephemeral. It is profoundly meaningful. And I am REALLY GOOD at wasting time (no, really, really good...trust me on this one). When I am doing things with my kids it never feels like I'm "wasting" time even if we are being lazy or inefficient.
Anyway, the way I came about this topic was that I was thinking about friends/family members who have had a hard time conceiving children. It is such a blessing and a miracle that we can have children and my heart just breaks for those who yearn to be parents but cannot. You'll notice that I added a link to Taylor and Lisa's (my bro & sister-in-law) adoption website on our sidebar. They were able to adopt the MOST adorable little boy about a year and a half ago and are hoping to find another child to adopt soon. They were introduced to their son's birth parents by an acquaintance, and apparently this works out quite often. So, I thought that I could use my blog as a little platform not only to shout out the wonders of motherhood, but also to advocate for adoption in general and for Taylor and Lisa in particular.
Ryan just got home so I'm going to sign off...
Friday, May 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Ahh, the joys of motherhood. For me it depends on the day. j/k... No, I love being a "SAHM" too, you just have some days that make it really hard. I have to tell myself EVERYDAY that it is my "season" to stay home and that my contribution is coming. I am always considering doing something else (teaching sewing, piano, making sewing patterns, furthering my education in music or working for an orthodontish) in addition to motherhood but you are right... Being there when your boys are young and watching them grow. It is precious.:)
Jilly
Ok Anna,
I just realized I am signed on under Troy's name, so yeah, it is me Jill.
Anna,
This post spoke to me in so many ways--I too have a lovely and accomplished mother who has a great career/worked outside of the home. I quit a great job to stay with my kids and my parents were a little appalled; we have adopted nieces and nephew whom we love dearly. Anyway, once again I am convinced we are kindred spirits. Thank you for speaking these thoughts from your heart. They have truly touched mine.
Ally
Anna,
I love you so much, Dad
Anna,
I love you so much, Dad
Anna,
I love you so much, Dad
It is so endearing that Dad's post showed up three times. Whether by accident or intentionally, it shows that not only does he REALLY love you, that we all have our own idiosyncratic and emphatic ways of making our way in this world.
I hope I say enough how much I admire you as a mother, and how lucky I think E-money and Odiver are to have such a fascinating world to grow in. I hope that I am fortunate enough to have little ones and look forward to seeking your help as I try to raise them. I love your idea of writing mothers' day letters.
Lots of love to you, big sister.
Ab
You say it so beautifully. I was at the park today and just happened to be talking to the mother next to me. She was about to return to work after being off for a maternity work. She asked me if I was a stay-at-home mother to which I replied "yes." I am very proud it, even if it seems a bit different to others. It is very hard but very rewarding. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else!
Honey, I hope you don't mind that I've sent all my friends this testament to your many manifest accomplishments ...[and only because I've come to know the perils of inciting envy do I restrain myself from similarly endowing my not-friends.
Love to you and all your other friends and admirers.
Thanks so much for the plug for us and for adoption, Anna. I am so behind on reading my sibs and sibs-in-law's blogs, so I haven't seen this until now! Lame-o!
This was a beautiful statement of the importance of what you are doing. I know some days my mom would take the time to list EVERYTHING she had done in a day -- just to remind herself that she was doing so much! You are too, and of the most important nature.
Can't wait to see you and your boys at the reunion next week!
Post a Comment