Thursday, February 12, 2009

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

Elliot's pediatrician in the PICU, Dr. Donell

Well we are FINALLY home! I am so relieved and happy to be home with two (relatively) healthy little boys and my rock/rockstar of a husband. We finally got the all clear this morning and walked out of the PICU at 12:00 sharp. We almost got home last night about 10:00pm. Elliot was doing really well breathing with out extra oxygen. The doctor on call was writing up our discharge papers when Elliot started to "desat" or lose oxygen saturation in his blood. So that got us our ticket for another night in the PICU. 

I felt really overwhelmed with emotion as I was leaving the hospital.  I had Elliot in the carrier and was pushing his stroller full of the accumulated "stuff" from a 6 day hospital stay. The sky was that gorgeous cerulean blue that is the hallmark of spring in North Carolina. It was warm and breezy and I literally had a spring in my step. I felt so grateful that our adventure at the hospital had ended, and ended happily. But I was also so sad for the families who weren't leaving the hospital. Or who were leaving the hospital without their babies, or their loved ones. In particular I was thinking of the little girl who was in the room next to Elliot. I don't really know what her situation was but I know she was pretty sick. Her parents and the friends who came to visit her always wore tight, drawn expressions and talked in low tones to the doctors. I really wished I had said something to her parents at some point, but I don't know what I would have said. I guess just let them know that I was aware of their sadness and that I was praying for them. 

More than anything this experience has made me so aware of our many blessings. I am grateful for the love and support of our friends and family. I am grateful for the advancements in medicine that made it much easier for Elliot to ride out this storm. I am grateful for Ryan's job that provides our family with health insurance so that we didn't have the added worry of how we were going to be able to afford the treatment that Elliot needed. I am grateful for the delicious meals and treats that our friends brought to our house and to the hospital. I am grateful for all the phone calls, emails, and comments on this blog from people letting us know that we are surrounded and supported by a far-reaching, powerful web of friendship. I am grateful for the travel-sized Aveda shampoo, conditioner and body wash that was in my overnight kit (I snagged them from a hotel on our last trip.) It was so nice to have a little aromatherapy after being a walking Kleenex/vomit target. And now I am grateful to be back at home in my own house with my family. Ryan will be home soon so I'm going to sign off. Thanks again to everyone who reads this blog for the thoughts/prayers/good karma that you sent our way. We love you!


Elliot proving to the nurses that he does know how to smile. 
Back at home getting reacquainted with his toys.

15 comments:

newyorkjen said...

Oh, Anna, I am so glad that Elliot is okay! I've been out of the blogosphere for a few months and just barely read your posts. Our thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you as you all recover from the experience. We love you!

Peanut said...

Anna, I'm so glad to hear that Elliot is doing better and that you are home. I've been thinking of you and your family for the past several days--I'm sorry I haven't called or brought food or anything.
Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you. I'm happy to help in any way that I can.

Rebecca said...

I am so glad that you are all home. I have been a bit out of the blogging loop this last week but the picture in the last post nearly broke my heart. Elliot is such a trooper as is your family. We will have your little family in our prayers.

Shari said...

I am so grateful that Elliot is doing better! That first picture of him just makes me want to cry. My heart really goes out to you. You guys were in my thoughts and prayers. We are actually just recovering from RSV too. First Kate, and then Bruce and James. I was SO scared for Bruce, he's still so little, but thankfully it wasn't a bad enough case to be hospitalized. James seemed to suffer the most, but we found out that he actually had an ear infection to boot. It's so hard to watch your children suffer. I'm definitely inspired by your faith and positive attitude. Thanks.

jamie said...

This is the post we have been waiting for. what a darling little boy, even with all those wires on him. My heart skipped a beat when I saw that first photo of him in the exersaucer. I loved reading your post of gratitude. There is a lot to grateful for and I need to remember that. You have been in our prayers this week. RSV is a nasty, nasty thing. We have been fortunate to not be affected by it, but it has been going around our ward. I knew there was a reason I'm inactive (okay not really but 9:00 am church with a newborn is HARD!!) Thank you for the happy update and I can't wait for many more happy posts. sending our KY love!

Jenny said...

I've been wondering how Elliot was doing. So glad he's doing better!
He probably is "remembering" all his toys. This I hope, will keep him entertained while you clean up the house to "Anna" (not Ryan) standards!

nelsonjeneen said...

That is really good that he is home. I am so glad that he is recovering. Nobody likes being in the hospital longer than they half to be. We miss you guys! Enjoy the warm weather, i am jealous. :) I have cabin-fever from the cold and snow.
Jill

Becca said...

So glad you are back home! I'm sure Elliot is enjoying being back in his familiar environment. Anna, you are such a trooper!

jason and jen said...

Anna...Stacy told me about your sweet little Elliot. I am so glad he is doing better and that you are back home as a family. You all are in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Anna, I'm so glad to hear Elliot is out of the hospital and doing much better. We've had him in our prayers and if you need any help as you catch up with being home again, please do not hesitate to ask.

Lynnie said...

we're relived to hear he's home. hope he stays healthy - he's too stinkin cute.

Michal Thompson said...

we are so glad you home and doing better. I hope it stays that way for the rest of winter!!

Robin said...

I haven't been able to keep up on everyone's blog as often now that I have a baby. I just now learned that Elliot had RSV and was in the hospital. I am so relieved to read that there was a happy ending. I have had those moments when you just feel like you are walking on air because you realize how blessed you are.. it is awesome.. and you deserve all of those blessings. It really was funny to see how happy Oliver was in the hospital.. and so sweet how he would tell Elliott it was okay because Olive was there. What a cute boy!

CAISA said...

i just read all your posts about Elliott... so glad you are all home and he is okay! take care!

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

So happy this is all over. He looks so sad in the picture with the tubes. Ugh!!

But I also laughed at the pictures of Oliver's glee at the hospital! What a kid!

We love you guys!