Sorry for not posting Halloween pictures sooner, as you can see, those didn't turn out so well. The preschool Halloween parade was somewhat traumatic, I guess it freaked some kids out that there were so many parents staring and taking pictures, and then when a couple of them started crying it caused a chain reaction.
Oliver was excited to be a fireman but he didn't want to wear the helmet. Which is funny, because he wears his "helmet" and puts on his "face mask" every time we read his Fire Engine book. See below.
Elliot also likes reading (and drooling over) the Fire Engine book.
Here are some more pictures...I don't have time to write pithy comments. In fact, the rest of this is going to be super boring to everyone except abby and mom...don't say i didn't warn you.
Even though most of what Oliver says is incomprehensible to the untrained ear, what does come out is often pretty funny. I thought I'd record some of his little expressions and funny moments.
Ollie pulls his hand inside the sleeve of his shirt and then asks, "where hand go??" I say "Oh, Ollie, where's your hand?" "Hiding" he replies with a grin and then shows me his hand, like he is revealing the secret to a fabulous magic trick.
Oliver really loves applause. When he does something really great we clap for him and say, "yea!" Instead of saying "yea!!!" he says " laai! laai!"
"Dok bak yaa" = Dark Back Yard ~ What he really means is: Hey, check it out, the sun is going down. He says this every night when the sun begins to set. It sounds like he is speaking Vietnamese.
The other night he was doing something that he thought was pretty funny. Elliot was lying on the ground on a blanket. Oliver shouted over to him, "Eddie, turn 'round! Watch DIS!!" Of course Elliot is still working on the finer points of vestibular control and can't exactly turn around on command.
He calls sneezes "bless yous" so when he takes his allergy medicine (which he calls his vitamins) he says, "bidamins, no bless you, no neezes."
What I hear about 100 times a day: "MOH cha cha milk!" (Please, mummy, I'd like some more Pediasure.) "Watch race car now" (Can we turn on CARS the movie, again?)
"Oh VOW! Loo da dat!!" Translation: "oh, wow, look at that!"
"Oh say, uh huh, right now." Translation: "Roger that. 10-4. I'm on it."
"Hoo-die! Hoo-die!" = "hurry, hurry!" He must hear this a lot as we are frequently running late. Sad testament to life Chez Halverson.
"Free mimis." Literally: Three minutes. Translation: Let me play/splash in the bath/watch CARS for three more minutes. He usually requests "free mimis" and holds up three fingers on both hands to underscore the earnestness of his petition. If he is really serious, he will hold up both hands with all ten fingers splayed...but he'll still ask for "free mimis".
"Dis one is?" = "What's your name?/What's that called?"
"New baddies" = "new batteries" In Oliver's world view there's not much that new batteries or tape can't fix. In a way, that's fairly accurate. I have become an expert library-book conservator with my tape roll always at the ready.
"Makin fidah." Literally: Making fire. Translation:look at that steam/smoke/exhaust/dust/condensation, which looks like fire"
"Makin fidahwooks." Literally: Making fireworks. Translation: "I have explosive diharea."
4 comments:
Yay! Hooray for the cutest boys ever! I have spent the past two weeks just crossing my fingers that I'd see some Halverson Halloween pictures. I actually had to harrass the poor blog engineer to beg her for these pics.
When did both boys become giants?
Independently, I have frequently said that the "Sweet Pea" is my FAVORITE costume for the wee ones. Mr. Elliot's face as the final pea in the pod really melts my heart.
Ollie could write a new version of "Haikus for Twos" or something - each syllable is precious and perfect. Oh now I love to hear you speak Vietnamese, Ollie.
Thanks, Anna - hope that whatever has you flummoxed is going to calm down soon. I miss you and love you so much!
Oh. And this:
"Makin fidahwooks." Literally: Making fireworks. Translation: "I have explosive diharea."
How am I supposed to get to work on time when I am laughing my head off....?
Haha, what cute boys you have. Alexander LOVED LOVED LOVED the pictures of the kids we have been staring at them for close to 20 minutes now and as I type he is asking for Oliver and his sister (no matter how many times I tell him Elliot is a brother, he still calls him Olivers sister).
I love the translation I was cracking up and they way you typed it is exactly how he says it, I can hear him saying these things.
YOu have the cutest boys!
Do Oliver and Elliot have matching bed sheets? That is too cute!!! By the way, it's never boring to see pictures of your boys. They're so cute. (And don't feel bad--it took me a long time to do my Halloween post as well. I don't know why. Perhaps it's because I'm so anxious to get the Christmas season started!!)
Post a Comment