Sunday, April 13, 2008

Baby Bruzzer

People always ask me if Ollie knows that he's going to have a brother soon and the answer is...hard to tell. I don't know if it's just that he is a little out of it but he doesn't seem to quite get it. You would think that he would have noticed the GIANT and ever-growing protuberance that is my belly and wonder what is going on, but apparently not.

The first time I tried to explain to him that I have a baby in my tummy Oliver's eyes lit up and he eagerly lifted my shirt to find this baby brother. When all he saw was skin he looked up at me with the saddest look of confusion and disillusionment, like Mom, why are you playing tricks on me? I said, no honey, the baby's inside. (Like that should clear things up?!?) He looked again a little closer and with much satisfaction finally located his "Baby Bruzzer": a prominent freckle on my belly.

A few weeks ago I asked Ryan to pick up some picture books at the library on the topic of "bringing home a new baby" in the hopes that a book might help clarify things. Well, the books Ryan found were definitely a little "advanced" (Whoa, what 2 year old is ready to explore the intricacies of how babies are made...what kind of board book is this!?!) Luckily my friend Heather had some more age-appropriate reading material that explain the salient aspects of becoming a big brother to a toddler.... mom gets a big belly, grandma and grandpa come to visit, mom goes to the hospital, a new baby comes home, mom and dad still love the big brother.

Ollie really likes reading these books and, despite the fact that he thinks the exact location of Baby Bruzzer is a freckle on my stomach, I sort of thought that he was gaining at least a vague understanding of the fact that I'm having a baby. Well, unfortunately he is still more than a little confused. This weekend he has started to point to HIS belly and say proudly, "Baby Bruzzer." As Abby pointed out, "he has a thing or two to learn about obstetrics!"

1 comment:

Kim said...

I talked to a librarian at my local library and she gave us some great picture book suggestions for teaching kids about how they will become a big brother/sister soon. One we liked When the Teddy Bears Came by Martin Waddell.

Of course, you can never tell what they are comprehending. I think it sunk in with Jaron when he went to visit me and new baby brother, Russell in the hospital. His look said it all, "Mom and Dad, what have you gotten us into?!?" That lasted until Russell came home. Now they are inseparable.

We hope you are doing well. We look forward to your new addition!