I have started volunteering at the Duke Botanical Gardens. They are in the process of creating a Children's Discovery Garden so it was a nice fit. I approached them about doing curriculum development (for money) but got talked into volunteering as a docent (for free). I'm a master negotiator. Anyway, I really enjoy it so I do get some benefit from my work even though it's not a profitable venture. Speaking of profitable ventures, though, I have been doing a little catering/personal chef work in my free time (when Ollie is napping). It also doesn't make a ton of money (gotta work on that) but I really enjoy coming up with meal ideas each week for the two families I cook for. This past week, however, I had a big job for Ryan's company which was a fun challenge and more like real catering. His department hosted a morning coffee break for the entire company. I made 500 assorted biscotti and scones. I hear it was a big hit. I am just glad that it wasn't total chaos and stress chez Halverson to get this job finished. I feel like I managed it well, the kitchen stayed organized and clean and no one lost their mind.
Anyway, today is a beautiful day so Oliver and I went to the Duke Botanical Gardens to see the spring blooms and feed the ducks. Ollie had more fun throwing rocks in the pond than feeding the ducks. He had a blast running around and is out cold now until Ryan gets home. Ryan is going to take him camping tonight and I am off to Atlanta for the weekend to see my friend Bianca. Good times!
6 comments:
What beautiful weather!!! I can't believe he is in shorts! We are still wearing coats and mittens over here!!!! I hate the English weather!
What great pictures Anna! Ollie looks very dashing in his smocked outfit. We usually try to hit Duke Gardens on Mother's Day, and I always think, "why don't we go here more often?" I love that place. How fun about the children's garden, I can't wait! Rachel
what darling pictures, Anna! Oliver is just so cute! Hoping we get to see him and you guys again soon.
The gardens look gorgeous! It was so nice to experience a little spring with you guys for a few days. Thanks for hosting us. Have fun in Atlanta, and here's to academic openings in NC!
Anna, SO great to hear what you guys are up to! Thanks for helping me get in touch with Anne-Marie and for the link to your cute blog. That little Oliver is so sweet. Thanks for the info. about him too...it's always nice to hear those kinds of things. I'm so glad he's doing well. It sounds like you guys are doing great and I"m so glad. Keep in touch!
Beautiful photos, and neat activities that you're doing, Anna. It's your time to do the "beached whale" thing -- YOUR words! :) -- but instead you are up to all sorts of good!
Post a Comment