Saturday, February 2, 2008

Oh, Happy Day!


Ok, this is totally dorky, but I have had the BEST week because Oliver has potty trained himself. In one week. What a kid!

He had been able to go on the potty for some time now but I hadn't officially made the switch because I thought a) I am just not psychologically or otherwise ready for accidents and poo everywhere and b) where in the world am I going to get underwear small enough for his tiny rear-end...that is still an issue but apparently Jill Nelson is coming through for me with a source for underwear for preemies, I'll find out more tomorrow.

Anyway, last Saturday night I was complaining to Ryan about the fact that I didn't know what I was doing or have a plan for potty training Oliver although I really felt like HE was ready, and that if we waited until I was ready he might lose interest. The novelty and excitement of going on the potty (not to mention sheer joy of flushing the toilet!!) might get a bit stale. Ryan, who is relentlessly organized and always "has a plan," was a little exasperated that I was approaching this situation with such disorganization and apparent apathy. But then, at that exact moment, Saydi called and gave me lots of good tips so I started to formulate a plan. The next day (Sunday) we heard a really inspirational talk at church about the importance of setting goals and I thought, I'm going to make it my goal between now and his birthday (Feb 17) to "implement my plan" and really work with Oliver on potty training. For those of you who know me well, you must know that "implementing plans" is NOT my strong suit, nor my usual M.O. And, yes, I know, the speaker probably had more spiritual goals in mind when he delivered his talk, but in any case, I chose to apply his message to potty training.

So, with Saydi's advice and the inspiration from the church speaker in my mind I blazed ahead with my plan, which was basically to keep him in diapers but put him on the potty every 45 minutes. In truth, I didn't and still don't have a plan for naps or nighttime (diapers stay on...I'm not that into doing laundry). BUT--Oliver had a different plan. He seems to have "gotten it" completely and let me know when he had to use the potty, even when we were out shopping or at the Science Museum. He didn't have one accident all week!! No, not one. He even woke up this morning and called out that he needed to go pee-pee because he wasn't about to go pee in his diaper, no way, man, not when he could go in the potty (and use toilet paper, and flush, and close the lid, and wash his hands, and wipe them off on a towel, and turn off the light...all of those steps need to take place in their proper order...he's a bit like Rainman in that respect, but I'm not complaining.)

Anyway, I fully realize that this post is way too long and I am WAY to psyched about this, but it is what it is. Also I have probably cursed myself by writing about how well things are going because it's only been one week, so fingers crossed that he continues with his great progress.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Wow! I'm so envious!! We just started Jaron this past Friday. He definitely thinks it's enjoyable to sit on the potty but doesn't really relieve himself. And then promptly has "an accident" within a few minutes of getting off. That's awesome. All I can say is "Way to go Oliver!"

Rachel said...

I am so excited for you! I also have to see his cute little underwear when you finally find some (I just realized that sounds kind of sicko- but you know what I mean). Rachel

bostonshumways said...

Way to go Oliver and Anna! I don't think my advice did much, just your determination and Oliver's brilliance. Will you give me some tips?

Jecott (that's our Hollywood name) said...

Wow! The Halverson brillance (not to mention aversion to bodily fluids) continues. We love you guys, and way to go Oliver!

Jenny said...

Yeah, but can he order a pizza?
-Nick & Jenny