Anyway, it was such a great experience just to get away by myself for a weekend. I feel like that alone gave me some much-needed perspective on what I need to change/do more of/do less of to be the mom/wife/person I want to be. The conference was held at the Kappa Delta sorority house where Jennie and Scott are house parents. The women who were from out-of-town (and one "local") stayed in the sorority house since it was empty for the summer. I think that everyone felt really inspired and renewed by the end of the weekend. We had an opening dinner on Friday night and then several workshop sessions on Saturday. Jennie's mom gave the "keynote address" on Joyful Mothering. I led a workshop on Supporting Playful Learning (all about why creative, imaginative and dramatic play is important for children's development and how parents can support this by providing "true toys" such as blocks and dolls, craft material, dress-up or costume options, etc. and by giving kids opportunity and latitude to let their imaginations roam). There were other sessions on topics like positive discipline, raising self-reliant and hard-working children, improving our relationships with our husbands, etc.
One of the best things about the weekend was reconnecting with old friends and remembering what was such a wonderful, special time in my life. I miss it, but the only consolation is that Ithaca is such a transient place. Even if we had stayed, everyone else would have moved on eventually and it wouldn't have been the same anyway. Oh, but it was such a great time and we made such good friends!
The whole group (minus a few)

The kiddos at the Saturday night Family BBQ

Heather and Chelsea at the Cornell Dairy Bar

Whipping up lunch in the sorority house kitchen

Jennie and Conrad
Hiking at Treman
4 comments:
Looks like it was a blast! I was sorry to miss it. Thank you for the recap though. What a great group of women!
Wow, that looks amazing. You need to do something like that here in Raleigh, although most of the fun is getting away, I know. I'm glad to see you finally updated your blog :) Rachel
that is so great you put that together. it sounded wonderful. you're inspiring, anna. as for the haircut. you just got to bite the bullet and do it! abe said we were doing it and we did it. he got his clippers out and went to town. had i been in control, walker still would be without a haircut. but I'm soooo glad we did it. i can't get over how cute he is! :) good luck!
alright, anna. i need the blueprint for that conference. sounds really amazing. we loved our visit a few weeks ago. we'll be calling you soon.
Post a Comment