Saturday, August 20, 2011

Summer Running Club

Last Monday was the last day of "Summer Running Club." Oliver and Elliot both reached their goals: Ollie ran 10 miles and Elliot ran 3 1/4. Oliver was thrilled to get his medal (he wore it every day this week) and Elliot couldn't have cared less!









I am doing my own summer running club, gearing up for the Ragnar. This is the long run we did this morning. It was so beautiful I ALMOST didn't notice the grueling hills.








Last Saturday we ran the ridge trail. Or at least we tried to run it. It was so steep we had to pick our way down pretty carefully. This week we stuck to the jeep trail which was a little easier.

I am loving our early morning runs. I haven't run like this since grad school. It definitely reminds me of Ithaca. I ran every morning with a group of women who became my closest friends. There is something about the conversations that come up on these long runs that really let you get to know each other well. Running and talking, running and talking, you get into a zone and the miles go by without even noticing while talking about childhood, marriage, politics, hopes and dreams. The walls that we build up around ourselves come down and you learn who your friends really are. I love it! I find myself feeling profoundly grateful for my healthy body. It's something I don't ever want to take for granted. I feel especially grateful that after 3 kids I can still coax my body into some kind of athletic shape. I really could hardly walk around the block at the end of this last pregnancy so it feels so good to be active and strong again.







4 comments:

bostonshumways said...

Can I run with you next week? That would be dreamy!!

Lynnie said...

I totally hear you Anna about the getting moving after a baby thing. My sister, who's living with me this fall (and has a 3 month old), and I ran/walked 3 miles today and it felt good/bad. I'm kinda sad I never ran with you guys out there in Ithaca but I'm pretty sure I would have been eating your dust the whole way!

Michal Thompson said...

that looks like a great trail to run! I hate to run more than 5 miles without someone to talk to!

jweed said...

wow. you go, anna!