Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Stah Vors

Friday night was a big night at our house. It was the long awaited screening of Star Wars. Despite the fact that Oliver hadn’t seen this movie until Friday, he has been really into all things Star Wars for a while. He prepped for the movie by taking out every Star Wars “Easy Reader” book he could find at the library. He explained that it was so that he would know all the characters when he watched the movie. He was definitely prepared!

imageimage

Well, it did not disappoint! Oliver loved it. Elliot was more or less into it. No one got nightmares afterwards. It even became the topic of Oliver’s talk in Primary on Sunday. That also was a big hit. The Primary kids were all really squirmy and distracted during Sharing Time until Oliver got up to give his talk. I was so proud of him! I did notice how distinct his speech impediment is when he was speaking through a microphone. I don’t notice it most of the time but somehow when his voice is amplified, his articulation issues also seem to get exaggerated. So Star Wars definitely comes out as STAH VORS.

Here is his talk. I think it’s hilarious. (I wrote it so maybe I shouldn’t say it’s hilarious.) But it was pretty awesome hearing Oliver deliver it in his cute little voice.

This weekend I got to watch the movie Star Wars for the first time. I really liked it. The hero of this movie is Luke Skywalker. At the beginning of the movie he is just a regular boy but he becomes a Jedi knight because he learns the ways of The Force. He uses the Force to fight evil, or “The Dark Side” and to rescue Princess Leia.

We are not Jedi knights, but we do have something that can guide us and give us power. It’s the Holy Ghost. When we learn to recognize and listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost we can be comforted, protected and strengthened. When we follow the Holy Ghost we choose the right.

Luke Skywalker had to practice using the force before he could become a Jedi knight. We also have to practice following the “still small voice” of the Holy Ghost so that we can become more like Christ.

The villain of Star Wars is Darth Vader. Darth Vader used to be good. He chose to join the Dark Side. You can tell by how angry and mean he is that he is not happy he chose the Dark Side. In the Book of Mormon, Alma teaches that “wickedness never was happiness.” (Alma 41:10). This is certainly true for Darth Vader.

I pray that we will stay true to our Father in Heaven by making good choices and avoiding evil. I pray that we can all learn to rely on the Holy Ghost to strengthen us. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

3 comments:

Abigail said...

Oliver is definitely the best Jedi Warrior I have ever met in real life. What a sweet talk. I love stah vohs.

Janelle said...

I dream in science fiction. I love star wars.

Alana said...

There is a middle aged man in our ward who is OBSESSED with Stah Vors. He even gives family home evenings on how it parallels the temple. I'm sure Oliver's talk was much cuter.