Elliot is so funny and so frustrating. We have decided that he needs to go to preschool. It is partly to give him his own "thing" and partly to keep me from losing my mind. He is going to start right away going 2 mornings a week to the preschool at the Jewish synagogue. It looks like a great program: it is small and the teachers seem very warm and nurturing and they do amazing art projects. They also work on potty training, which is nice because I have gotten nowhere with that here at home.
We haven't even started yet and I am already nervous that Elliot is going to behave like a cretin and get kicked out. I took him by to visit today and the kids were all sitting around a table politely eating their lunches. No one was wandering away to play with toys or refusing to eat their food. It was all so civilized, I can't imagine how he is going to fit in. He also has a terrible potty mouth. He says "shut up" and "stupid" at least once a day, and if he is a bad mood or tired many more times. I'm steeling myself for the sidelong glances of subtle disapproval I'm sure I'll be getting from the other parents and teachers. Oh well.
A few months ago, when we were back in Nashville, Elliot was having a hard time getting to sleep. He was talking to himself and I wrote down what I could overhear. I don't know exactly what it says about the psychological state of our 2 and a half year old, but it is pretty revealing.
"Ella's birfday. Ella's birfday"
"Mitchell...where he go? where he go?"
"stupid, dumb Mommy"
"meow, meow"
"hi baby, hi babe, hi babe. come here babe. come here hippo."
"basketball"
"whoa, dat is SCAWY"
"yup, dat is stupid"
"baby come here, baby, come Mommy."
"where is Daddy? He a work."
"It's Elliot's turn, now it's Ella's turn."
"tickle tackle, tickle tackle."
"it's really dirty. dat's a lot of dirt"
"dat's a lot of water"
"watch the rainbow"
"dat's not cool. dat not cool. why? it's stupid. yep, it's stupid."
"it's a booger. dat's not cool."
I know that is pretty random, but I wanted to write it down here so I would have that little snapshot of what he was thinking about (or at least talking about) as a 2 year old.
2 comments:
hilarious! I can tell you that Corbin has turned over a leaf, not a good one. He too says naughty words. His favorite right now is "stupid butt." Two of my least favorite words combined but it makes me laugh every time. I did use the washing his mouth out with soap trick and it worked pretty well! I have actually threatened to use it on my other kids for disobedience, they shape right up!
Oh Anna...it must be the #2 child, because my little Ella sounds just as hard. Its a good thing they are cute! As bad as this sounds, I'm glad I'm not alone!! Hope you guys are doing well.
Post a Comment