Thursday, January 20, 2011

“Some Painful Moments”

It’s been almost two weeks since Andrew was born [Well, it was 2 weeks when I started this post, now it’s been a month. One thing I don’t have much time for anymore is blogging.] Ryan wrote a little about Andrew’s birth in a previous post but I want to record my version of it, too.

Ryan wrote that I had planned to do a natural birth this time (meaning no epidural or drugs.) Actually, at first he wrote that I was “absolutely determined” to have a natural birth which I made him change to “planned to” because really, I wasn’t determined at all. He also neglected to mention that I was a total basket case at times during this pregnancy because I was so worried and scared about labor & delivery. Among my worries were that I just wouldn’t be able to do it; that I would chicken out early, or lose my resolve once it was too late, or panic and completely lose my &@#$(!, or simply have my body fail me and not be able to push the baby out and end up begging for a c-section, which is pretty much what happened with Oliver. Not the c-section, mind you, but the begging part.

In any event, when push came to shove (har, har) I DID IT! I am really proud to have joined the millions of women, including – obviously – most of our foremothers (is that a word?) who have successfully and safely given birth naturally. I am also proud to say that I didn’t lose my )@#$(@)#$*, or at least not completely.

One thing that really helped was that Ryan got on board with my plan to do a natural birth. I made him read (or at least listen to me give the highlights) of countless books on natural childbirth. Even when inwardly I was filled with doubts, he acted like it was a forgone conclusion that I would be able to do it and it would all be fine, no big deal.

I also talked to just about everyone I knew who had had a natural birth. I got some great perspectives and practical advice about labor. The most helpful tips were about relaxing EVERY muscle, from your head to your toes so that the contractions could do their thing most efficiently. Also, during contractions to focus on the baby and not on the pain—you’d think that would be pretty obvious but it’s easy to lose sight of that when you are in the thick of things.

My sister, Abby, who is a obstetrician and is also pregnant with her first baby (a girl, yea!!!!) couldn’t understand why I even WANTED to give birth naturally. I guess she’s seen enough women totally freak out in the throes of labor to make her want to avoid natural childbirth altogether. But my feeling going in to this was that birth IS natural. It is something completely awesome and almost divine that we are expressly designed to be able to do. What could be more sacred and powerful than the capacity to bring forth new life? I wanted to experience that in all its primal glory.  There are a lot of good reasons to have a natural birth but for me, it came down to a crucible of sorts. I wanted to know if I was mentally/physically tough enough. Could I overcome the pain and fear to work with my body to accomplish this thing I was designed to do? I surprised myself by carrying it off with more grace/dignity than I would have expected.

I went into early labor on Thursday morning, and by the evening my contractions were pretty regular. I went to bed and just lay on my side in the dark next to Ryan thinking about how every contraction was bringing me closer to seeing our baby. I thought about how much I already loved this baby and how interesting it would be to see him for the first time – a little person who was both a stranger and an intimate. A person who in yet unknown ways would change my life forever. I had read that the pressure of contractions massages the baby’s circulatory system and prepares him to take his first breath. That thought helped me realize that the process of labor was something we were both experiencing, a journey we were taking together. I focused on being still and calm -- relaxing and conserving my energy.

I stayed at home until my mom arrived from New York (her flight was really delayed so she didn’t get to our house until 2:30 in the morning). We left for the hospital as soon as she arrived. When we got to the hospital they checked me and thought that I was fully dilated. It turns out that after they broke my water I still had a tiny bit to go so I labored for a little while longer.

It was all pretty manageable until the pushing part…that’s what Ryan euphemistically referred to as “some painful moments.” Like hell it was!! Anyone walking the halls of Labor & Delivery would have been forgiven for thinking someone was being murdered. I screamed my head off. I am NOT a screamer. But I lost it. I cried. I shook uncontrollably. I begged for it to stop. And then it did. Andrew was born. And I was ELATED. I had endured the most intense pain and fear and emerged on the other side triumphant. It sounds cliché but it was transformative. I had breached a boundary, had pushed past what I thought I could endure and reached new ground. This little guy who had been physically a part of me for the past 9 months looked up at me in wonder through swollen eyes.  He and I had made the journey together and WE DID IT! 

_DSC0021

13 comments:

Kim said...

I love reading people's labor and delivery stories. Especially since you so wonderfully captured what delivering naturally is about. To me, it is such an empowering experience. Truly awesome.

And yes, embarrassingly I screamed with the delivery of Afton. I guess it is about letting go! But I profusely apologized to the nurses afterward which they found amusing.

Good job! ~Kim

Jamie said...

I love your birth story. I think we hear to many women say, "There is no pain in natural child birth" I love that you tell how it REALLY was.

It has inspired me to think about natural child birth with my next baby. I love your perspective on it, that you wanted to see if your body and mind could endure it.

Your an amazing women!! Congrats on such a sweet boy.

Alana said...

captivating story of your L&D. I want to be brave like you, I do. We'll see whenever the next child comes. I tip my hat to you Anna

THORSDATTER said...

Your report is vivid and touching, and the photo of your happy face, says it all once more. I don't have a photo, but I know I was every bit as happy when I first beheld and then [even better] held you. Maybe like me, you won't remember any pain. love, mama

Abigail said...

Just to clear my name, and obstetricians everywhere, I said "BE FLEXIBLE" and see what happens, because being relaxed is so important to the process of childbirth whether you have evil interventions like epidurals and pitocin and cesareans or not. The most depressing part of being an OB is watching people focus so much on their plans for birth that they forget what they are doing there: i.e. bringing another new life into the world. However it happens, as long as mom and baby are healthy, it's a success in the mind of most obstetricians. I have seen people determined to have it go a certain way that they forget about that.

I also knew that your third baby would come flying right out. Which he did. And we are all so glad to know him!

Lynnie said...

YEAH Anna!!!!I totally understand about the wanting to experience it - I know it doesn't make sense to most people but I just felt if my body could handle it then maybe I could handle being a mom too. It is an incredibly powerful experience to realize you did it. But I agree with your sis too - if you get too focused on it then you have a massive grief if for some reason you're not able to go through with it. Anywho, congrats and so glad you shared it with us.

PS. Do you mind if I send my sisters to read about your experience? They're both preg and wanting a natural birth and I'd love for them to read yours.

annie said...

love this. well done.
and yeah, i totally screamed. i don't even think i pushed, i just screamed lila right out.

The Shafer Family said...

SO awesome, Anna! I've done it both ways...natural with Annabeth & epidural with Ella...and I don't regret either decision at all. It was VERY important to me to give birth naturally with Annabeth. I was in labor for nearly 19 hrs with her and "transformative" as you said, is totally true. I have NEVER felt more empowered in my entire life. I'm so glad you got to experience it! No one doubted you but you. We all know how amazing you are!

Miss you!
Tracie

bostonshumways said...

I love you Anna! That picture is just priceless.....my eyes are all filled up with tears.

Thanks for sharing your story. It makes me so excited for my own story to be written in just 6 or 7 weeks!

Jessie said...

I had a very similar birth experience with our 2nd boy, so this was so neat to read and feel like I could've written it (but not nearly as articulately as you, of course). Our first I chickened out and got the epidurel and felt like I missed out on the real thing. No one really understood why I would want to try a natural birth with the second. I did a lot of reading too, and wanted so much to experience what all mothers since the beginning of time had. And, just like you, I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. It was immensely satisfying. Congrats on pushing through the pain...thank you for sharing so honestly your story. You are awesome! (And welcome to the 3 boys club!!)

Rosalyn said...

Congrats on your new addition. My last two babies were natural and I loved it. With each one you never know how it will happen, so you do have to keep your options open. I felt like my recovery was a lot faster also.

Kimberly said...

I love this post! I love your honesty and how beautifully you articulate your reasons for even considering natural childbirth. I've always been a "can I have my epidural at 32 weeks please" girl, but Madeline's birth was SO easy (relative to the boys) that I've actually considered that I might consider natural for my last. (How's that for a cautious qualifier?) I keep thinking I don't want to have my last baby and wonder the rest of my life if I *could* have done it, you know? But I know what Abby is saying about being flexible. Overall, the baby is the best part, however he or she comes into your life. Thanks for sharing! Miss you tons!!

jweed said...

great update on the "painful moments." you expressed it beautifully! and what a grand prize for that extreme effort. . .