My sister in law's dad, Mark Rampton, who is a family practice doctor in Corvallis, OR, flew down to Haiti last week to provide emergency medical care to the victims of the earthquake. You can read more about it here and on Lisa's blog.
I wanted to post about it here because I am so moved by his willingness to volunteer to be a "first responder"; to put his life/practice/comfortable existence on hold and to use his skills to help alleviate unimaginable suffering. He is part of a small team of LDS doctors and nurses who are literally camping out in Port-au-Prince, administering emergency medical care from the 50 or so dufflebags of supplies that they brought with them. Their own safety is far from assured as aftershocks continue to threaten and lawlessness is bound to increase as people get more desperate. The horror of the scale of the calamity is something that I'm sure we cannot grasp here watching it on TV from our living rooms. It is a really brave thing to go into a situation like that. He and the other emergency responders have my utmost respect.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I wish I had a great service like that to give.
Thanks for your kind words, Anna!
We are so excited to see you guys tomorrow! David is eager to see Oliver and Elliot!
Post a Comment