Monday, January 11, 2010

Mele Kalikimaka

image

Ok, I have really been a bum about updating this blog. It is because I have fallen victim to my latest Internet obsession--combing through real estate options in Nashville. Craigslist, Trulia, HotPads, RealTracs--I've logged more time on those sites than I care to admit. It's honestly what I do with every minute of my spare time (when I'm not obsessively cleaning and tidying the house in the event that it needs to be shown at a moments notice.)

So, in an effort to curb my addiction, I am going to post an update (or two) about whatsahappenin' chez nous.

When Ryan was just a wee lad his mother painted a Matchbox car town for him and his brothers to play cars. This town was painted on canvas and was based on their Kansas City neighborhood. It had their house, the elementary school, the church, some of their neighborhood friends houses, etc. Ryan has great memories of countless hours playing with Matchbox cars on this play mat.

Given our boys' interest in all things automotive, he asked if we could have the play mat. No dice. You see, Ryan's sister, Kim, married a guy from Kansas City; a boy whose childhood home is ALSO on the Matchbox car play mat. How cool is that! Since they, too, have boys who are obsessed with cars, they get to keep the original Matchbox car play mat.

Not to be deterred, Ryan decided to paint his own Matchbox car town and give it to the boys for Christmas. But instead of basing it on our actual neighborhood, he chose his IDEAL neighborhood--specifically the sweet little surf town of Hanalei, Hawaii.  

20091224-DSC_0373

How freaking cool is that?!?!?!

This is the town where we rented a house with a bunch of his best friends from college last August (a trip that is often referred to simply as The Best Vacation Ever (TM). 

20091224-DSC_0376August_28,_2008_023

Oh, yeah, that's the golf course in Princeville. That's Ryan teeing up.

20091224-DSC_0377  image

He painted the Hanalei River where we went kayaking.

20091224-DSC_0379DSC_0288

The Kilauea Lighthouse.

20091224-DSC_0378 DSC_0713 

The one lane bridge that spans the divide between Hanalei and the rest of the world.

20091224-DSC_0380 DSC_0732

It wouldn't be Hawaii without shave ice.

20091224-DSC_0381 DSC_0734

Bubba Burgers are the BOMB! [Not to be confused with Bubba Burger (singular) which are pre-made frozen patties...quite a different thing altogether.]

20091224-DSC_0382image

The Hanalei Farmer's Market was two blocks from our house...did I mention that this was also MY ideal town?

image  August_19,_2008_005

Tunnels Dive Shop...ok, this place doesn't really exist, but the dive site was called Tunnels reef, so Ryan took some creative liberties.

20091224-DSC_0386August_19,_2008_027

Tahiti Nui...this place does exist and Ryan and his buddies apparently made quite a spectacle of themselves at karaoke night. I went to bed early. Seems I missed out.

20091224-DSC_0387 August_19,_2008_025

Our beach house, complete with hot tub and grill.

20091224-DSC_0388 DSC_0735 

The church in Hanalei. There actually was an LDS meeting house around the corner from our house but it was a pretty simple structure so Ryan chose to paint this beauty instead. Didn't he do an awesome job?!?! Check out those stained glass windows, folks!

20091224-DSC_0391 image   

And finally, the Waimea Canyon. Ryan is really proud of this one because he didn't have a picture of the canyon to use as a guide while he was painting and so he just drew and painted from his memory of the place. He did a pretty incredible job, in my completely unbiased opinion.

The boys loved it and were thrilled with all the new Matchbox cars that they got, too.  20091224-DSC_0407 20091224-DSC_0421a

18 comments:

Abigail said...

That's even more amazing than i thought - i didn't realize it was modeled after a real (and fantastic) place. Ryan, you are superdad.

Anna and Ryan said...

OK, I am changing the comment moderation setting on this blog so that comments will just post without my "moderation" because I just accidentally rejected all the sweet messages I got about this post. Darn it. Well I am going to cut and paste from my email, so I'll still have the record of the kind things Kim Halverson, Amber Smith, Cara Apple and Amber Eggett left for me. Thanks so much guys!!

Anna and Ryan said...

Kim Halverson wrote:

So the Halverson car mat has been making the rounds. I was told when I become the trustee that it would have to move on at some point. I was hoping that people would forget about it. Mostly because my boys are obsessed with playing with it (just out yesterday in fact). I must confess, I felt bad for turning Ryan down when he asked for it . . . until I saw the completely awesome one he made. I'm going to be placing my order for him. I just need to come up with an "ideal" location. But seriously, that looks so awesome. Way to go Ryan.

Anna and Ryan said...

Cara Apple wrote:

That is SUCH a cool thing for your boys to play with!! We went to Kauai when I was pregnant with Finn, and seeing those photos is making me wish I was there again!

Anna and Ryan said...

Amber Smith wrote:

That is fantastic! Tell Ryan he did an amazing job! The lighthouse has a plaque with my grandma's name on it, we let her ashes go at that lighthouse so it was super cool for me to see it! Glad you guys are doing so well! Loves!

Anna and Ryan said...

Amber Eggett wrote:

Ryan and Anna,
Hey, do you remember me? I am Amber Eggett, Ryan's cousin that he has actually met maybe six times in all. . . Anyway, I love to look onto your blog now and then, and see what you guys are up to. I am not going to lie, I feel somewhat like I am blog-stalking since we really don't know each other that well, but it is fun anyway, so I hope you don't mind. I have to comment on the incredible canvas play mat. . . . What an amazing gift! Amazing is an understatement. Probably one of the best gifts I have seen from a parent to child these days.

Good luck in Nashville!

leah said...

i can see it now - the year is 2025 - and someone (let's call him oliver) says - "how about christmas 2009 when dad made the hawaiian village painting?!"

so so so awesome!!! :)

Rosalyn said...

That is amazing. I will have to show it to Dave! What memories that trip will hold. We miss you guys!

Michal Thompson said...

so cool. Can I get him to make me one??? My grandmother made us a fabric one when we were kids, of our real neighborhood. So fun! But I love the ideal idea too!

Lolo said...

that is amazing! awesome job! i hope you inspired geoff!

Lolo said...

that is amazing! awesome job! i hope you inspired geoff!

Kimberly said...

This is AMAZING. I had no idea Ryan was so artistic. How many hours did that take??? What a great gift...for your kids and yourselves!

Lauren and Josh said...

That is awesome!! Kudos to Ryan...not only for making this amazing creation, but for finding a way to get his boys what he wanted for 'em! Really cool idea! I hope the house hunting is coming along, and I hope y'all sell your house ASAP!!!

Heather S said...

That is an awesome mat! It is one of those gifts that you keep forever.

Moving to Nashville? I am out of it! You know....we are not that far from Nashville. Want to come up for a weekend?

Joy M. said...

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen!!! Very impressed. :) I'm sending this to my sisters and parents to see. When are you guys coming back to HI? I need to take your boys out surfing.

-joy monahan

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

No WAY! That mat is incredible! I don't think my Halverson man comes with any painting skills. But maybe if I remind him of the matchbox mat he'll get inspired, too! <:

Anne-Marie said...

Absolutely love it! Ryan has some serious artistic talent. What a fun things for the boys to always remember.

Fancynancy said...

Aloha! Just checked out your blog and your life! The boys are so cute, even the bald white guy that sits at a desk and blogs about his minivan! How exciting to have a new adventure! I love the car mat and was only sad to see that 50 Poipu Drive did NOT make it onto the mat(tennis court and all)! We hosted a wedding here last week and retold the bug boy, basketball and police story a few times preparing the bride and groom for our "friendly" neighbors. Of course they did not disappoint us and the police were here before the first dance! Love and aloha to all...please come visit us!!!!!!!!!!!