Saturday, September 6, 2008

Best Vacation Ever (TM)

Aloha! It’s been well over a week since Anna, Elliot and I returned to the “mainland” from what is currently being considered in trademark courts as “the best vacation ever”. For our avid readers there is nothing more to say than we’re sorry you weren’t there. It was awesome. Epic. Unforgettable. And whatever other superlative you can throw in.

THE SET UP A 10-year reunion
730 days of planning and anticipation
16 friends + 2 infants

 

THE OUTCOME 7 days in paradise with great friends doing a little, and sometimes a lot of, the following: Scuba Diving – Golfing – Kayaking - Jeep Safari - Waterfall jumping – Surfing – Snorkeling – Rafting – Aloha Bowling – Karaoke – Grilling – Hiking - Boogie Boarding - Beach Volleyball - Rope Swinging - Sunset Watching – Sun-tanning… and to top it off, yes, an engagement.

BEST SUMMER EVER This vacation has its roots in what is widely recognized as the Best Summer Ever. In 1998, I joined 15 of some of my closest friends on a summer adventure to Hawaii to “sell” pest control in Oahu. The event has become a date-stamping moment in our lives… essentially, everything in our life happened before we went to Hawaii and after we got home from Hawaii.

Because I pined to return and because Hawaii is not as fun without the friends who were there the first time, I got the ball rolling two years ago. Also, I had been secretly trying to convince Anna to move there. As a note, this was the only one failure of the entire trip. Based not only on the fact that she married me and that she doesn’t want to live in Hawaii, I’ve concluded Anna’s judgment is not to be trusted. And now… the trip. OAHU – August 13 We hit this island hard. We arrived on Wednesday, August 13 and went right up to the Na Pali lookout. Beautiful, inspiring… windy.   That afternoon, I took a trip down memory lane by visiting my old apartment, Ala Moana Towers at 1617 Kapiolani Blvd. Later we checked into our vintage Waikiki digs near the strip. As you can see, I am not a big “spender” on hotels (more evidence forthcoming). And then strolled along Waikiki beach and had dinner while watching the sunset. Thursday morning we woke up early and took a trip to the Leeward side and hiked to the Makapuu lighthouse. And, just like on every trip, Anna and I endeavored to uncover the best hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Kaneke’s plate lunch in Waimanalo was a hit. In Hawaii we call these “ono grinds” or “delicious food”

From there we headed to the North Shore via Kamehameha Hwy – yes, it is the most scenic and picturesque drive in the US -- to snorkel and hit the beach. No trip to the North Shore is complete without a stop a Matsumoto’s shave ice in Haleiwa. Friday, we spent the morning shopping at the “Made in Hawaii” festival in Honolulu and then headed back up to the North Shore, this time stopping at roadside shrimp trucks. Awesome food. We spent the rest of Friday touring the Polynesian Cultural Center and enjoying the evening luau and fire/dance show. Things turned a little ugly at the Laie Inn, where $100 will get you dirty towels, cock-roaches in the bathroom, peeling paint on the wall and carpet so dirty you literally wear flip-flops when you are in the room. It was in every aspect - The. Worst. Place. we’ve ever spent a night (in the US). It doesn't say a lot about our standards but we actually have stayed in some fleabag hotels in SE Asia that make the Laie Inn look like the Plaza.  Saturday’s morning drive back to Honolulu gave us a chance to see the BYU-Hawaii campus and the Hawaiian temple. Beeeutiful. Before heading out to Kauai we visited hallowed waters of Pearl Harbor at the USS Arizona visitor center. KAUAI I’ll admit. I was a little nervous. You never really know what you’ll get after planning a huge reunion requiring a fairly substantial commitment of time, money and resources. Once we crossed the one-way bridge from Princeville to Hanalei, over the Hanalei River, something magical happened and everyone and me instantly became enamored not just with the charm of the place but also with the reality of a true vacation. DSC_0713

DSC_0712

As the group began trickling in from the Airport, we dined that evening on the delicious Bubba Burgers and then went for a moonlit swim in the ocean.

 SUNDAY We toured lighthouses, hidden beaches and watched the sunset from Kee Beach. Unfortunately for us, the forest was on fire and the alluring Na Pali hike was closed the entire time.

 DSC_0281

DSC_0288

MONDAY One of my favorite things to do in the world is to dive; even better is diving with friends. The dive wasn’t great, but doing ninja stunts in our wetsuit on the beach was.

 

Anna and I kayaked the lazy Hanalei river against the backdrop of Kauai’s world’s-wettest-spot mountains.

On Monday night we got some fresh fish and burgers, fired up the grill (and the tiki torches) and served up da kine ono grinds.

Afterward we headed to Tahiti Nui and brought the house down with some karaoke, including my old standby “you don’t bring me flowers” duet. Oh yeah… I can sing Streisand.

TUESDAY Today was a textbook day of waterfall jumping and viewing. It ended with a stunning sunset in Waimea Canyon overlooking the Na Pali coastline.

WEDNESDAY A little breakfast out on the lanai followed by a vigorous trek out along the pacific coast to catch a view of the Na Pali cliffs descending straight into the water via a Zodiac raft.

THURSDAY It wasn't all play...here we are hard at work. Kidding. This is the fantasy football draft. The Blackberry on the table is Pete calling in from the mainland with his picks.

DSC_0532

After three active days, we were all ready for some rest and relaxation at Hanelei beach, including some volleyball, surfing and boogie boarding.

 

That evening we went Aloha Bowling at the only alley on the island. I scored a 184 on my second game and took home the coveted “Lihue Bowling Game Towel”.

 

While everyone else was bowling, Debbie and Seth went off and got engaged! We all celebrated the news at Dukes Canoe Club.

FRIDAY, more surfing, beach volleyball and hanging out. In the afternoon we played the venerated Princeville Course, ranked as the #1 course in Hawaii and #20 in the US. I hadn’t played golf in 2 years. I lost at least 13 balls and pulled others out of numerous water hazards. I didn’t even bother keeping score.

On Saturday we hit the Hanalei farmers market and then began saying our goodbyes. By good fortune, Anna and I got bumped from our 2pm flight to Oahu and were awarded not only with some extra time to hit dinner with the remaining friends on the island that evening but also with $400 for the trouble. In an odd twist of luck, given that we flew over on frequent flyer miles, we actually made money on the trip. We treated our friends at dinner.

That evening we hooked up with the Monahans – a.k.a.the best family in Hawaii – who hosted us for the evening and the following day.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And then… after 12 blissful days on an island I used to call home, we bid a (honestly) tearful goodbye to the beautiful Hawaii and our wonderful friends. (sorry no picture of the weeping). 

  

11 comments:

leah said...

#1. I'm speechless. Almost.
#2. It's about time!?!
#3. Anna SURFS?! Who knew?
#4. STUPENDOUS photographs and play by play - left me wanting for more, even.
#5. Will you sing Streisand with me sometime? I may even have the sheet music to "You don't bring me flowers... Anymore."

H said...

Sounds/looks like an amazing vacay/reunion!

Abigail said...

i am going to move there if you won't. WOW.

The Mechlings said...

I'm with leah on #s 1 - 4. Wow. the pictures are absolutely breathtaking. Can only imagine how much moreso it all was in person!!

Jamie said...

What a fun vacation. Did Ryan live there during college or on a mission? He mentioned about living there. The pictures are amazingly beautiful. I am jealous.

Lynnie said...

very cool photography and I'm insanely jealous that you got to leave your 2 yr old behind. Can you hook me up with a grandma like that? and I'm afraid our house (if you come!) will be extremely boring after that jaunt around the world.

David & Vanessa said...

What awesome pictures! Lorile told me you guys were there too! It is a small world.

So you didn't tell me, what part of NC you're in? We bought a house off the beginning of route 5, close to the Varina area. We are only 5 mintues from downtown, yet our surrounding area has farms and the water so close. We love it, gives us a break from the city. And the neighborhood is so safe and awesome neighbors! Many people don't even know that whole part of richmond exists! So great to hear from you! Any pregnancy tips?????!

p.s. you know we are not too far (i think) so we'd love to visit you guys and meet the new baby!

jbel said...

Ryan and Anna- Your pics are awesome! Boy, viewing those sent me speeding down Memory Lane. Ryan, I think you were the very first bug boy I ever met ... at church on BYU-H's campus. Those were the days. And Anna your surfing skills amaze me. I never did pick up that sport. Thanks for posting the pics and allowing us less fortunate ones to live vicariously through your awesome vacation.

Scott Fam Dam said...

If your intent was to make us jealous, well, you succeeded. Not so much of Hawaii, which does have a bit to do with our jealousy, but moreso because we want a vacation with the Halversons too! Anna I am amazed and impressed with your surfing abilities. Ryan once again great pics!

Peaceful Mommy Kayleen said...

looks like lots of fun! i've been to oahu a couple of times, and can't wait to go back. :) thanks for calling macy- it was good for her to have Ollie as a playmate in MN.

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

Gorgeous photos. My little sis (Sara) and her hubby just got back from Hawaii, too; must be a message we're supposed to pick up on!

Looks like a super time for all. So glad you had the reunion!