Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Just Say No!

I am honestly at the end of my tether with little Oliver. His favorite word, nay, his first and immediate response to any question, request or instruction is a sharp and resolute "NO!" It doesn't matter what I've asked/offered/requested, the answer is always, "NO!" I don't know what to do about it. This has been going on for several months, so obviously what I am doing isn't working to make it go away.

My first strategy was to ignore it so as not to "positively reinforce" that behavior by any attention (good or bad) and repeat, rephrase or re-frame the request, as if the "No" response was simply invalid, not an option. Then I reward him (with praise or a smile and a hug) when he does what I've asked. So, essentially reward good behavior, ignore the rest. Simple and straightforward.

But somehow it isn't working. It's got to be something that I am doing to undermine this process, because really, it should work, right? I find that instead I am, quite pitifully, asking him to say, "NO!, thank you!" instead of just, "NO!" I feel like a chump. I'm getting whooped by my 2 year old. And really, it's not a battle, or at least it shouldn't be, I don't want it to be. I want us to be on the same team.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

As Oliver's aunt, I have the lucky role of never getting sick of anything he does, no matter how annoying, because I do not have to deal with the realities of toddlerdom on a daily or even weekly basis...

I like to think that Oliver has taken NO to an art form - this simple syllable that he can actually prounounce. He says it when he means "no","yes","maybe","i will not eat your yucky chicken", "i might just do something naughty right now," and a variety of other strong emotions.

It's like the Eskimos who have 200 words to describe snow. He is just expanding from his own experience ;)

tecwhitram said...

I am not sure of the context in which Ollie is saying 'no' but Jackson went through a similar phase. I don't ask yes or no questions anymore--simply this or that questions. He still busts out the occasional 'no' even when the question is something like "do you want a cheese sandwich or peanut butter?' but after I tell him no was not one of the options, and repeat the question, I get a better answer. Hang in there!