Sunday, July 27, 2008

Girls' Camp


This past week was "Girls' Camp" for the Young Women of our church. Usually this involves tent camping in some state park or national forest. This year because the youth did "Pioneer Trek," a reenactment of the Mormon pioneers' journey across the plains to Utah, complete with handcarts and prairie dresses, we decided that Girls' Camp would be somewhat less hardcore. We stayed in the beautiful new home of a member of our church in Bath, NC. Here's how Girls' Camp was like real camp:
  • we had a bonfire and roasted s'mores and sang camp songs
  • we slept in sleeping bags
  • we got sunburned and mosquito bitten

Here's how Girls' Camp was NOT like real camp:

  • air conditioning
  • tubing and wakeboarding
  • hot showers
  • pool and hot-tub
  • million dollar water-front digs

The girls still worked on their "certification" in things like knot tying, fire building and other wilderness survival skills that were totally irrelevant in our "camping" experience. We joked that what we needed to teach the girls were skills like learning how to operate the remote control that turned the hot tub on and changed the color of the pool lights, or how to drive a ski boat.

The girls all had a really great time. I'm so glad that I was able to go because I got to know them much better. I had been having a hard time with my church calling (Young Women's leader) because I didn't feel like I connected with the girls. But now I feel like I finally got to know them and feel much more confident about being able to be a good leader because I have a better understanding of their individual personalities. They are such good girls.

Elliot came with me of course and slept on a blanket next to my airmatress (we all slept in a game room above the garage). He did really well until the last day when he got diarrhea and started spitting up A LOT. I was really upset about it because I was afraid that he had gotten sick from all the "love" he had gotten from the girls. Brother Baldwin, whose home we stayed in, and Ron Henderson, the husband of one of the other leaders, gave him a blessing. He made it home and is doing much better today.

Here are some of the pictures from camp. My camera battery died as soon as I took it out of the case on the first day and I didn't put it together until the last day that one of the other leaders had the exact same camera and had brought her charger.









6 comments:

Jessie said...

You are a trooper to go to Girl's Camp with the baby--even if it was at a nice beach house! I serve in YW too, and they went to camp last week and I heard all about it today at church...and did not feel too bad I couldn't go (not w/3 little boys in tow!) since they really rough it. But it is such a good experience for them. They bond and their testimonies grow, etc. I love my girls and enjoy it more the longer I've been there because you get to know them and they start feeling comfortable around you and they are so sweet and FUN!

Shari said...

You look totally cute - as always!! What a fun girls' camp. I wish we could have had more girls' camps like that when I was in YW. I love the picture of you and the other girl on the tube. You look completely at ease and she looks a bit nervous. I'm so glad Elliot is doing better now. I always get so worried when my babies are sick, especially when they're that little.

The Mechlings said...

Looks like you guys had a wonderful time! It is truly amazing that you took Elliot with you ... he is learning early to be a traveler like his mom and dad, huh? Wish I'd had a girl's camp like that!!

Robin said...

Now that is my kind of girl's camp. It sounds like it was a blast! I totally relate to how you felt about being in Y.W. I was just called a few months ago, and I still feel like "the outsider." All of my insecurities from teenage years came rushing back...aren't I supposed to be more mature than that by now?! Hopefully I can establish those relationships soon, like you did at camp.

Rachel said...

Sounds like fun, and I'm glad you got some girl-to-girl time. I'm glad Elliot is feeling better too. I love your photos of the waterfront, what a beautiful place. RAchel

nelsonjeneen said...

Oh, Anna I wish I could have been there. Bro. Baldwin's homes are sooo nice. That is awesome he let you guys stay there. We were able to stay at one of his homes,2 summers ago and they are very nice. Troy had done some work at his house and another members house. That will probably the best YW Girl's Camp ever!!!! Love the pictures.