Friday, January 11, 2008

Bis-Ball


Oliver is obsessed. He just goes bananas for sports, which he refers to collectively as "beec-ball/ bis-ball or just ball." Basketball, football, baseball, hockey, golf, you name it. If there is a ball involved, he's down with it. He even calls the TV "beec-ball" because, as far as he's concerned there is only one thing worth turning on the TV for: sports. (His Dad may have helped cultivate this perception.) He has eagle eyes for basketball hoops and points out each one in the driveways of houses we pass when we are out in the neighborhood. In fact, on one memorable occasion we passed a house that was TOTALLY decked out for Christmas. It had lights everywhere, several inflatable lawn ornaments including a giant snowman on a motorcycle, and a huge LCD "Countdown to Christmas" display that played Christmas carols. It was something else, to say the least. We stopped in front of the house and I said, excitedly "Oliver, look at all those lights!!!" he looked at the lights, clearly unimpressed, and pointed to the garage and said "beec-ball." Sure enough...there was a hoop over the garage door. It's amazing to me to see his little personality emerge in ways that are totally surprising to me, but archetypally, universally "boy."


Oliver LOVING his first Carolina Hurricanes game

3 comments:

elizabeth shill said...

Too funny! See I learn something new every time I read your blog. Here I thought I knew Oliver pretty well, but I didn't know he was already such a sports fan. Oh, and I'm logged on as my mom, but it's me, Rachel

Kent and Emily Cook said...

Anna and Ryan!

I haven't been on here forever and your little family is so adorable and growing! Congrats on the little boy coming in May. Everyone I know who is pregnant is having boys. It must be their turn to come! If you do ever need to borrow a girl (for the American Girl stop or dressing her up...) mine are enough girl and drama to give you a fix for the next several years. I am welcoming the emotional normalcy that a boy will bring! So anymore news on moving overseas? We'd love you as neighbors!!! So glad to see your cute fam! Love, Emily

nelsonjeneen said...

That must have been exciting to go to the Carolina Hurricanes game. I heard they are a lot of fun!!
Also, that is awesome that he loves sports, he is definitely a sports "fanatic" like Ryan.
Jill