Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summer Art

Last summer my friend Suzy and I had such a great time doing weekly art projects with our kids that we decided to continue our tradition and do a long distance version this summer. Although we don’t get to enjoy gourmet lunches together after the projects, we are collaborating on ideas and giving each other inspiration. I talked my friend Anna McFadden into doing it with me here in California so we have a small actual art group in addition to our virtual art group back in Nashville.

Today I taught a lesson on symmetry and we made flower mandalas. I tried teaching symmetry last summer when we made paint butterflies (you know, when you drip paint onto a piece of paper and fold it in half and gently press the two sides together. Viola! A butterfly!) Anyway, my explanation of symmetry went wildly off track last year when I said that “if I were to cut this picture in half, both sides would be the same.” They freaked out because they thought I was going to cut their pictures in half and even though I explained emphatically that I was not going to cut their art in half they couldn’t get beyond that. 

So this year went better. I first had them do a symmetry exercise before I tried explaining it with words. I drew a line down the middle of a piece of paper and created a simple shape with geometric pattern blocks one one side of the line. I had them repeat the pattern on the other side, to make it “same on the other side". I explained that this type of pattern is called symmetry. Then we made some asymmetric shapes and talked about what made them asymmetric. We looked at some pictures of animals (crabs, butterflies, people) and talked about symmetry found in nature.  I also introduced the concept of “lines of symmetry,” and “radial symmetry.” My explanation of radial symmetry was a little rough, but they got the concept, despite my poor explanation. We then went out in the yard and hunted for symmetry in nature.

Then we came back inside and made these awesome flower mandalas which are examples of radial symmetry. I got the idea from The Artful Parent. All it took was some paper plates, contact paper and some flowers and leaves. Easy peasy and the kids really, really enjoyed it!

  DSC_0399 DSC_0400  DSC_0402 DSC_0403 DSC_0404 DSC_0405

3 comments:

Michal Thompson said...

since your doing a long distance class, can i join?

Lynnie said...

Um, me too? I've been telling all my friends over here about your cool fish art last summer and trying to get a group going. Virtual sounds wonderful! I want your ideas too!

Janelle said...

This project looks so fun!