Sunday, April 3, 2011

In Like A Lion…

What the heck happened to March. How did it fly by so fast?!?! I have a million thoughts in my head about interesting things we’ve done/noteworthy experiences of the past few weeks/spiritual impressions/ruminations on the state of the world, etc. Any of which might make lively reading if I were to post them on this blog. Unfortunately, I have a sleeping Andrew in one arm and I’m typing with one hand so none of that is going to make it into this post. Besides, I’m kind of operating at only half capacity these days mentally.

I have made it a point to go to bed early so that I can maintain my sanity. So far it’s more or less working. I have been a much kinder, gentler version of myself when I am not sleep-deprived/Diet Coke fueled. Having three kids is definitely kicking my butt. I have decided, however, not to fight it and just get sleep and deal with what comes my way.

And what is coming my way--what is flying at me-- is one CRAZY almost-3-year-old. This kid is such a handful! He has so much energy and is very curious and independent.  I think those are WONDERFUL traits. No doubt those qualities will serve him well as an adult. As a pre-schooler, however, they are a real liability.

Here is Elliot after he climbed to the very top of the stack of storage bins in his closet to get the Legos. He realized he couldn’t climb down with the Legos so he started throwing them down in great handfuls…the racket he was making alerted me to his position.

_DSC0022 _DSC0017 

Here he is one morning after he climbed up onto the counter to sneak a Hershey’s Kiss from the cupboard. I didn’t even know he was out of bed.

DSC_0055DSC_0060

And here’s the top of his head after he found Ryan’s clippers in our bathroom. It’s a nice look, really.

DSC_0061

In spite of (or maybe because of) his mischievousness, he is really quite loveable. He and Oliver have so much fun together.  Here they are a few weeks ago at a playground near our house.

 _DSC0102_DSC0110

Andrew has discovered his hands. They seem to be endlessly fascinating. He will stare at them in awe as he wiggles his fingers or grabs one hand in the other. _DSC0035_DSC0032 

We went for a hike today after General Conference. These woods are  in the” Open Space” behind our house. Cattle graze among the oaks and we’ve been told that there are tarantulas and mountain lions, too. Fortunately we didn’t encounter either of the latter.  We did see some wild turkeys. They make really funny noises.

  DSC_0067DSC_0070  DSC_0071 DSC_0078 DSC_0085 DSC_0099DSC_0097 DSC_0118  DSC_0128   DSC_0148

5 comments:

Cristi said...

Oh we miss those boys! My boys were just asking this week where Oliver and Elliot went (I'm sure we've told them several times before).

Wade also took all three boys on a hike after conference and saw two wild turkeys that were calling like crazy (there was a female nearby). My boys were laughing hysterically at the sounds!!

Anyway, glad to see you all looking well and surviving three boys too. I've been meaning to call and just chat. Talk to ya soon!

Abigail said...

Elliot makes me laugh so much. I cannot believe the hair clipper incident. I can't believe how old everyone seems on their hike. (I dig the alligator shirt ;)) I miss you guys a whole lot.

Can't wait to see you and Anwoo soon.

Love to all you Halversons.

Anne-Marie said...

Oh Anna, this post reminds me so much of my life with three little boys that age. Whenever I had time to myself, all I wanted to do was sleep. Sawyer reminds me of Elliot. He was as loveable as could be, but made constant messes and NEVER stopped moving. You'll cherish these records. Otherwise, all you'll remember is one big blur. I think you're an amazing mother!

Jessie said...

Such adorable little boys. They remind me so much of my 3 little rascals. Always up to some mischief. That last photo is so sweet! I think you have a great attitude about the fatigue...I struggle to get to bed early too. It's my achilles heel.

Toots said...

Hello Anna,
I have been wanting to write to you for some time now, so I figured today is the day to do it! My name is Tami. I believe you knew my brother, Todd (Humphreys) and his wife, Fatima. They are now living in Texas. I have enjoyed reading your blog so much and often feel I need to comment but I have been hesitant since you don't know me. However, we do have a common ground with my brother. :)
I have to tell you that I relate SO MUCH to your Elliot. I have a son who will soon turn 3 and he is just the same way. I am nodding my head as I see the things Elliot has gotten into--it is just like my Isaac! I have 4 kids with one on the way and I feel like it's a kick in the butt too! It's a lot of work to raise a family!!! It's just really refreshing to read that other mothers are going through the same challenges. You really do have a great family with 3 adorable boys. Please feel free to email be if ever you need to vent about Elliot. :) I'll hear you out.