Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy Birthday Dear Oliver

Our sweet little Oliver turned 4 this month. Since he really wanted to have a party with his friends from preschool we had a party before we left Raleigh and then another little family celebration here in Nashville on his actual birthday. He is thrilled to be 4 and is quite convinced that he's all grown up. He takes great pride in all the things he can do by himself: buckle himself into his booster seat, put on his shoes, get dressed (mostly it gets put on backwards), put his clothes in the hamper, and get water out of the fridge water filter, among other wonders. Some things, such as eating salad  and being a life guard at the Y, he has decided he will save until he is really grown up...which according to him is when you turn 9.

20100205-20100205-DSC_0642 20100205-20100205-DSC_0643 20100205-20100205-DSC_0648 20100205-20100205-DSC_0646  

I am pretty lame when it comes to planning parties. I really, really appreciate well planned parties, I am just not so good on the execution myself. So when it came time to plan Oliver's 4th birthday party, I abdicated all responsibility and called up the local bounce place. Simple. End of story. All I had to do was show up (and make cupcakes, which, really I didn't even have to do, because you can order a cake through them, too). Anyway, to say that this party was a success would be a gross understatement. Oliver and his buddies had an absolute blast!!

20100205-20100205-DSC_0625

20100205-20100205-DSC_0608

20100205-20100205-DSC_0598  20100205-20100205-DSC_0575 20100205-20100205-DSC_0596 20100205-20100205-DSC_0609 20100205-20100205-DSC_0612 20100205-20100205-DSC_0611 20100205-20100205-DSC_0623 20100205-20100205-DSC_0619

Elliot looks terrified but he really liked the giant slide, I promise! How cute are these kids!? Everyone wanted a chance to sit in the giant inflatable throne so we let them take turns and I took pictures. 

20100205-20100205-DSC_0651  20100205-20100205-DSC_0652 20100205-20100205-DSC_0654 20100205-20100205-DSC_0672 20100205-20100205-DSC_0655 20100205-20100205-DSC_0670 20100205-20100205-DSC_0667

We are happy to be here in Nashville (really!) but I wish we could take these friends with us. These kids are all so dear to me. It's with these kids that Oliver has learned the first lessons in being a good friend--looking out for each other, sharing, taking turns, talking about poop*, etc. Those are important early experiences and I couldn't have asked for better little guys and girls to share those first friendships. 

*The truth about playdates is slowly coming out. I thought he was wiling away the hours playing with cars or engaging in high order dramatic play (see post about "Mom and Dad Are Dead"), but it turns out he was just eating toothpaste and talking about poop! Good times.

5 comments:

Jan said...

I LOVE the pictures!! Oliver really does look more grown-up as a 4-year-old!:-) We miss you all and we still talk about Ollie in preschool. Last week Max was gone and it just felt so small without both of those boys... I'm so glad you have a blog so we can keep up with you a little.

Lynnie said...

Oh my goodness... how many friend does he have??? I can see why it was so hard to leave. Poor Nathan has 1 set of twins and their older brother out here that are his only little friends and he's desperate for more. I think I'll have to look into getting him a few more since Ollie seems soo stinking happy. Happy B-day Ollie!

Michal Thompson said...

glad to see you are alive. We do miss you already. Tell us what you have been up to.

Abigail said...

Ollie looks like a gangsta in the last one. Nothing says tough guy like a giant cupcake.

dad said...

Anna Dearest:

I have one correction of your account of Oliver's party. You are not, repeat not, lame at anything.

Love, Dad