But in the meantime, I'll let you all in on why we have been a bit preoccupied.
We are moving. To Nashville, Tennessee. We don't know when.
At the beginning of November Ryan was offered a promotion to a new position in his company's Nashville office. It caught us totally off-guard. We didn't really want to relocate. The company sent us out to Nashville to check things out. We came home from that trip feeling like we REALLY didn't want to relocate (Nashville, despite its awesome reputation, is not THAT different from Raleigh, with the glaringly obvious distinction that none of our friends lives in Nashville). The company figured out that we didn't really want to move so they made us "an offer we couldn't refuse." Not in The Godfather sense (no horse heads in our bed) but they made it pretty clear that they really wanted Ryan to fill this position and so they made him a generous offer. So, that's nice. I really am proud of Ryan that he has done such a good job at work and that he is being recognized. We think this move is probably a good step for Ryan's career. Yep. And we are committed to not look back once we move. We will really dive in and make the most of our time in Nashville. Once we get there.
But until then we are feeling really in limbo. We are trying to figure out what we are going to do with our house here (sell or rent it out), what we are going to do about housing there, whether I will live here with the boys until the house sells or move out there and hope something magical happens so we won't have two house payments. The company will buy us out if the house doesn't sell in 5 months, so it's not like there's no end in sight. But we could be here until May, since we aren't even going to list the house until January.
Ryan started working in Nashville last week. He is staying in a hotel during the week and coming home on Friday evening. We are trying to maximize our time on the weekends, reconnecting with each other and spending time with the many dear and AMAZING friends we have here. So far (a week and a half into what may be a many-month ordeal) it is actually quite nice. We are both amazed at how productive we are with our free time, and how connected we feel when we read the scriptures together on the phone in the mornings and discuss the day's events in the evenings. One of the reasons I have been able to hold it together as a single mother is that I am getting to bed earlier that I usually do when Ryan's at home. Tonight is an exception so I better sign off because tomorrow evening, when I am feeling exhausted and overwhelmed, there will be no reinforcements arriving to help with the bedtime battle.
7 comments:
I have had to start reading the ny times online for my news since your blog activity has slowed! What to do??
Seriously, I'm really happy for this exciting if somewhat uneven time in your lives.
Adam was saying how much he wants to play jungle gym with those boys. I was thinking, "oh, how nice, we can go to the park." He corrected me: he is the jungle gym, the two monkeys Ollie and E-money attempt to climb over him, but the jungle gym fights back with tickle power.
The image makes me almost happy enough to wait until I see you guys in a week!
Tell Ryan congrats on the promotion! I hate that we won't get to see y'all when we come to visit NC though. :*( Still, I'm sure this move will bring many unexpected blessings. Much love!
Oh boy...I'm happy that Ryan got a promotion and nice offer, but I totally understand what you're going through. We went through the same thing just over a year ago when we moved here to UT. I ended up being solo for 3 1/2 months and we finally sold our house. It was difficult, but somehow we made it. And we are so glad we made the decision to move! We've been surprised by how much we like it here. It looks like you have the right attitude...hang in there!!
wow. that is big news! congrats on the promotion, ryan! and i remember you not sure about loving raleigh when you first got there. you guys will ALWAYS have tons of friends wherever you go! (and now perhaps you're closer to WV?) good luck with the single parenting!
Oh my word! KY! That means we will have to come visit you on our drive out to UT this summer! I am sorry you don't get to see much of Ryan lately. I remember when Harvey was working the weekdays in OH and then flying home weekends to be with us and it was physically exhausting! I was completely worn out by the end of the day! Hang in there! Life will be normal eventually!
Wow Anna! You are such a good sport about the whole move. It sounds like Raleigh has been amazing to you guys, i'm so glad. I'm sad that you will have to move eventually! But I like that you said you would dive into Nashville, and fully experience it. And, kudos to you for being an awesome single mom!!!
and congrats on the promotion for Ryan!
Post a Comment