I'm so proud of my sister Abby. Not only is she a loyal and devoted friend, hysterically funny impersonator, quick wit, dedicated Auntie to my sons, lovely writer, talented chef, gracious hostess, able and caring doctor...She has made it to the pages of the NY Times.
In my book this is a HUGE accomplishment. I am a big, big fan of the Times. I know that it has a liberal bent compared to the Wall Street Journal (which I also enjoy) and Fox News (which makes me want to vomit), but it comes down to the fact that they provide interesting, intelligent reporting and commentary. I especially enjoy reading the "Most Popular" stories...admittedly these aren't often the most "important" stories, but they are the most fun! For instance, I just got totally sidetracked when I went to get the above link to that page by an article on Sarah Palin's $150,000 wardrobe makeover.
Anyway, Abby is mentioned in a story on teaching literature and reflective writing to med students in order to make them more compassionate doctors. Abby started a narrative medicine seminar for the ob-gyn residents at Columbia. Here is her quote below:
“Narrative medicine changed my entire approach to medicine,” said Dr. Abigail Ford, a senior resident in obstetrics and gynecology at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia who studied under Dr. Charon as a medical student. “As a doctor you are really a co-author of patients’ experiences and need to hear their story and take it on.”
With her former professor’s guidance, as well as the support of Dr. Rini Ratan, the residency program director, Dr. Ford has initiated a narrative medicine program for her fellow obstetrics and gynecology residents. While the program is still in its first year, “we’ve always run over,” said Dr. Ford. “People have to be dragged away.”
OK, I think that is pretty cool!! Not only that she was quoted in the Times, but also for the underlying story. Abby was interested in the nexus of medicine and the humanities and took the initiative to start a seminar in narrative medicine in her residency program. I can't tell you how many times I think, "someone ought to..., or someday I should..." but Abby just seized the day, as they say. Way to go Abby!
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
WOW!! I've never met you, Abby, but WAY TO GO. I completely echo Anna's sentiments re: NYTimes. It's a favorite publication that I check out daily, and a secret goal of mine (well, now I guess it's not-so-secret) to be published there one day. And what a great topic to be published on, as well! I have strong feelings about medicine ever since I had a nightmarish experience in birthing my son, so I am one that really appreciates any semblance of an OB's emotional involvement in the journey of laboring mothers (of which I had zero). SO I sincerely thank you for your work, wish you the best, and send you a huge CONGRATULATIONS!
Anna, THANKS! Frankly, "Chez Halverson" is my preferred news source. Your writing and your intellectual curiosity inspire me EVERY DAY.
Of course, it was very exciting to be in the NYT (which, for the record, I didn't know was "liberal" and not just the middle-of-the-road until medical school - talk about living in a left-wing bubble!).
Now the proud Mama has to say:
NOTHING makes me happier than to see how astutely you both appreciate the other, and how generously and warmly you rally to be your sister's best booster. [if only you knew how I prayed for this once upon a time long ago and then again in the days when one of you was bossy and the other an annoying pest] Ah, sisterhood.
wow anna - will she come practice ob/gyn in my town so maybe we could get a decent doctor who would listen to people?
SHe is amazing! It doesn't surprise me at all that she is a genius though, she is afterall, your sister! You've always been "in my book" one of the smartest people I have ever known! I love Abby's determination. You are right we all have thoughts and motivated feelings but rarely do we ever see them through!
Post a Comment