This weekend I headed up to New York for a family gathering of sorts. I don't want to call it a reunion, because that suggests a much more organized event than what occurred this past weekend on the Jersey Shore, but the basic components were accounted for: food and family.
My mom comes from a family of 11 children, so we grew up with lots of aunts and uncles and cousins. Before my grandparents moved to Florida we would get to see our cousins at least a few times during the summer and at most holidays. Since they moved we've had fewer opportunities to get together. Our second cousin (or is it our first cousin once removed?) was getting married this weekend so that was the excuse we needed to get everyone together again. None of my first cousins actually went to the wedding, but the aunts and uncles did and then afterwards we had a big party at my Uncle Patrick's house.
The next day we headed to Monmouth Park to watch the horse races, specifically a memorial race that was held in honor of my grandmother and our cousin Bonnie who both died this year. The Brennans are a big horse racing family but I haven't been to the races in years. My grandfather and Aunt Nancy are both equine veterinarians, my Uncle Brian is a trainer and Uncle Pat used to be a trainer, too. When I was little and totally horse crazy I used to beg Uncle Pat to take me to work with him. It was so fun to watch the horses train in the early morning hours. I was convinced I would become a jockey and win the Kentucky Derby. Unfortunately I developed an allergy to horses and weighed more than the average jockey by the time I was in 5th grade. Oh well, another dream dashed by cruel fate.
After the races we went back to Uncle Pat's for more food (steak and lobstah), watched the Olympics, played some bocce, and listened to Irish music. Good times!
My mom comes from a family of 11 children, so we grew up with lots of aunts and uncles and cousins. Before my grandparents moved to Florida we would get to see our cousins at least a few times during the summer and at most holidays. Since they moved we've had fewer opportunities to get together. Our second cousin (or is it our first cousin once removed?) was getting married this weekend so that was the excuse we needed to get everyone together again. None of my first cousins actually went to the wedding, but the aunts and uncles did and then afterwards we had a big party at my Uncle Patrick's house.
The next day we headed to Monmouth Park to watch the horse races, specifically a memorial race that was held in honor of my grandmother and our cousin Bonnie who both died this year. The Brennans are a big horse racing family but I haven't been to the races in years. My grandfather and Aunt Nancy are both equine veterinarians, my Uncle Brian is a trainer and Uncle Pat used to be a trainer, too. When I was little and totally horse crazy I used to beg Uncle Pat to take me to work with him. It was so fun to watch the horses train in the early morning hours. I was convinced I would become a jockey and win the Kentucky Derby. Unfortunately I developed an allergy to horses and weighed more than the average jockey by the time I was in 5th grade. Oh well, another dream dashed by cruel fate.
After the races we went back to Uncle Pat's for more food (steak and lobstah), watched the Olympics, played some bocce, and listened to Irish music. Good times!
6 comments:
hey anna, you were at our old stomping grounds: Monmouth, NJ. we lived in Long Branch while matt finished up med school. loved living on the jersey shore! (however, i think i still prefer the warmer temps down here). fun trip!
That looks like so much fun. My favorite is the one of you smiling like you're actually interested in the specifics of racing. When did you get back? I need some company at the pool!
That sounds like a way fun weekend. I would love to go to a horse race... too bad you became allergic to horses, I could totally see you as a jockey at the Kentucky Derby! Bocce ball is so much fun!
that is crazy, Anna ... as soon as I read "Jersey Shore", I got the chills ... I spent time every summer with my grandparents in Long Branch and before I even read what you wrote, I KNEW that was the racetrack at Monmouth!! glad you had a good time with your fam!
I have never been to horse races, that looks like tonz of fun.
Thank you so much for the baby sling it has saved my life, I am not sure how I did without it.
It is always good to see family again! I just discovered your food blog. LOVE IT! Wish I were the kind of cook you are. Jealousy has struck again!
Post a Comment