Friday, June 27, 2008

Self-sufficiency



This is Ryan posting again...

I’ve noted with some curiosity that ever since we added Elliot to team Halverson most of our pictures and blogs have been devoted to Oliver, our friends and random events; he's given just enough blog real estate for just a smattering of pictures. I have not yet come to a conclusion that adequately solves this mystery. I can only hope it does not create lasting harm to him.

Hypothetically, it could be that Elliot really hasn’t provided any Kodak-worthy moments with his seemingly tireless routine of eat, sleep, poop and cry. While totally adorable, lovable and heart-warming to Anna and me, I find little about this to spur much thought or observation other than: “Wow. He stopped crying” or “I can’t believe he fell asleep.” Or “Why doesn’t Anna change him?” (this last one thought, though – to be honest – really does race through my mind, is also totally unfair since she is out-diapering me at a pace of at least 20:1.

It is with this as a backdrop that I must apologize to Elliot that my blog is not about him and his new snazzy cloth-diapers, (which, trust me, deserves some analysis)-- but about Oliver.

Where Oliver struggles in the eating and growing department he does make up in other departments. Let me share one example. Recently, Oliver (who is potty-trained) climbed up on to the toilet for his nightly ritual before going to bed. I will pause to add that my deepest respect goes out to this little man, who, at the tender age of 2.5, has already discovered the pleasures of reading in the bathroom, albeit a book read to him by someone else. If we got the paper, I would be half-tempted to start reading him the latest stats and box-scores from the baseball pages. But I digress.

So, there Oliver is… climbing on to the toilet. He sits down and while no one was in the bathroom to read to him, started looking around. He happened to notice that the roll of toilet paper was exhausted. So, he lifted it out of it holder. Stepped down from the toilet and threw the toilet paper roll in the waste basket. I observed all of this with paternal pride. However, just when I thought he was finished with the task… he came out into the hall, opened a closet door and got a brand new roll of toilet paper! He went back into the bathroom, put it on the holder and snapped it down into place. As he climbed back on to the toilet to finish his real business he nodded his head back and forth as if saying to himself, “ahhhh… everything is in its place, now I can go”.

I was as much amused, as I was full of respect for our little guy. My esteem grew even more when I realized that, given the same situation I would have gotten up and found another bathroom that had toilet paper rather than finding and replacing the roll.

And just for icing on the cake, he flushed and closed the lid.



6 comments:

leah said...

the tp story is hilarious!!!

hey anna. so right this very moment, i'm remembering our conversation from yesterday on the phone. please, please, please forgive me for not calling you back yet. i'd still be more than happy to try to help if you feel like calling this weekend. phone is 521-5354. :)

ttfn!

Lynnie said...

that's the sign of a very good mama that's trained a little boy very well. at least i'd like to think that since my nathan won't let anything fall on the ground without running to throw it away. maybe we're just making them OCD, but it sure makes our lives easier now though!

Kim said...

Ryan you are pathetic. Obviously, I hope you learned a lesson from Oliver that changing the roll takes less time then searching out a new bathroom. It is amazing all the things kids teach us? I still love you though.

Scott Fam Dam said...

Well that proves it, you guys are better parents than Harv and I. At Ollie's age, Carson was found sitting inside the toilet bowl stuffing cars down into the "hole." I actually didn't know about the last part until a few days later the toilet stopped working and it wasn't until I went "fishing" and pulled out 3 cars that it started working again.

youreprettytoo said...

This is Ryan's college friend, Kari R. again. It is always so entertaining to read your blog. You both are excellent writers. You really should be proud of Oliver's accomplishment of changing the toilet paper roll. I am still working on getting my almost 4 year old to stop yelling, "Will someone wipe my bum?' from the bathroom. And we all know who "Someone" is! Anyway I wanted to give you my email address so we could exchange addresses and at the very least exchange Christmas cards so we could catch up on each other's lives. It is karichristensen@comcast.net.

The Mechlings said...

what a guy ... even putting the lid down?? he'll make some woman very happy someday!! we can relate to the "little to report" phase with the baby. I think around 3-4 months, they start getting photogenic and more "newsworthy"!!