Yesterday we found out that we will be welcoming another little boy into our family in May. We went for the ultrasound and at first they couldn't tell because the little guy was squeezed in really tight (more about that in a second). But with a lot of poking and prodding by the ultrasound tech he finally obliged us with a very clear shot of his little boy parts. With Oliver I wasn't so sure that the ultrasound tech had really seen anything, much less anything that even vaguely resembled a penis, but this time it was unmistakable. Yup, another little boy.
So, my recent and recurring fantasies of taking my child to The American Girl Place, dressing her up in smocked Bishop's dresses, and having tea-parties were dashed--at least for this go round. I was really sure that it was a little girl, but I guess it was just wishful thinking.
Not that I am disappointed that he's a boy. Not in the least. It will be fun to have a little pair of tow-headed rascals. And in the last 24 hours I have begun to feel very affectionate and fiercely protective of this little one, too.
Even though everything seemed to check out normally with the anatomy scan yesterday, they were somewhat concerned that there was not enough amniotic fluid. That's why he was so scrunched. The doctor said that it was not something to worry about, because his kidneys and bladder seemed to be developing normally, but in any case, he wants to see me for another ultrasound in a week. So the only thing I can do is try to drink more water to see if it is just a matter of my being dehydrated. For the first time in this pregnancy I started to think of this little baby as someone who needed my love, protection and care just as much as Oliver. I thought that until he/she came out, my body would more or less take care of the "growing the baby" part and so I didn't give it a whole lot of thought. Since that appointment I have become much more aware of his kicking and I think about how much water I'm drinking (a whole lot now!!!) and what I eat. I had been pretty good about eating healthily before, but a bit more cavalier with my sugar intake. Now before I eat something I think, will this be good for the baby? Anyway, for the first time I'm starting to think of this little guy as a real baby, not just a bump.
Friday, December 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Congratulations! That is fun that oliver will have a little pal to wrestle with. Maybe sometimes they will be willing to have a tea party:) As I was reading your post, I realized how similar my feelings would be, it would take something or someone to point out that the baby inside is a person that needs care...... I am just still amazed at the miracle of birth.
Congratulations you guys! That is so exciting! I'm sure Oliver doesn't realize how lucky he's going to be having a little brother. How fun. Keep us posted on the new little guy!
Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! You probably already know how fun I think it is to have two boys. We are so excited for you and for an addition of another "boy" cousin!
Congrats! I am blog stocking all of our cousins. Your little boy is so cute! That will be great to have two!
Two little boys together is a total blast. Congratulations to you guys!
I agree with the above, having two boys together is so much fun, you will love it! Congrats and take care, Rachel
Congratulations! You're welcome to play with Mackenzie anytime. Two boys will be a blast!
What is it about boys that make me laugh? I love that we are both having boys....two boys to boss us around!! I love it. I hope things are going well/better with this pregnancy. Yahoo for boys and ALL their parts!
yahoo! congrats halversons!
Yeah!!! Congratulations. So much fun. Love the pic of your tree. . . Absolutely gorgeous!
Ryan/Anna:
I'm so happy for you guys. i suspected this would happen soon. You'll be happy to know that I consistently check your blog for my latest entertainment! I love it! Baby Pae is due at the end of March, so if our paths cross sometime, our kids will be buddies. Hope you're doing well!
Post a Comment