Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Halverson Family 10K

Before we moved to Raleigh I had been planning to run Richmond's Monument Avenue 10K on March 30. In fact, even after we moved I found a running buddy and continued to train for the 10K. But, plans changed and I didn't end up driving back to Richmond this weekend for the race. Saturday came and it was just a gorgeous day. "Let's go for a run in Umstead Park," I suggested. Ryan agreed and we all headed off. "How far do you want to go?" I asked. "It's not about distance, it's about time," said Ryan. So we agreed to run for a half hour and then turn back. We followed a bridle trail that took us past a lake and through the forest where dogwoods and redbuds were in full bloom. At the 30 minute mark we looked at the map. It looked like we were already half-way around a loop that would bring us back to the car so we decided to forge ahead rather than retrace our steps. BIG MISTAKE!! In addition to having to take off our shoes and socks to ford a stream (with the baby-jogger no less!), it took us a full hour and forty minutes to get back to the parking lot. I have no idea how long the trail was that we found but it was way longer than the Monument Avenue 10K!!

No comments: